Sometimes it puffs smoke

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 gl 1200

Sometimes it puffs smoke

Postby Geofd » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:23 pm

86 interstate new to me, when starting
(Only twice so far) puffed blue smoke
I read here somewhere if you park I. On its side stand this could happen
any info would be great

Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 Aspencade
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Re: Sometimes it puffs smoke

Postby wilmo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:10 pm

yup mine does that, too, even on the center stand. Not always but sometimes. Could never pin it to a pattern, just random start up smoke. But our bikes are old enough to smoke if they want. It's not serious nor do they continue the bad habit while running. Undoubtedly it's due to the valve guide seals not so pliable anymore. Oh the joys of a 30 year old bike. Do like I do, enjoy the ride.

Motorcycle: 1987 GL 1200 Aspencade

Postby redjetty » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:17 pm

my 87 does too,,,,, sometimes,,,, yes,, enjoy the riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!!

Motorcycle: 1986 gl 1200

Postby Geofd » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:27 am

I didn't think I was anything to worry about and so far it's the most comfortable and easy to ride bike have had its the 3rd shaft drive bike I have had I love the full fairing its gonna
extend the riding season in the fall

Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:57 am

I bought my '85 in 1995 and it wasn't too long before I too noticed an embarrassing plume of blue smoke on start up after a stop with my HD riding friend. My 1200 only had 26,xxx miles when purchased, WTH I wondered. His HD no smoke and my Wing did?

That's just wrong on any level.

Then one day at Cracker Barrel near Daleville he and I and our wives went to leave the restaurant and were putting helmets and etc on and a gentleman approached .... total stranger .... and he started talking about the bikes. We chatted, then he stood back as we started up to leave and after my Wife mounted I started the Wing, there was that blue puff .... my HD friend grinned and the stranger leaned in to tell me that if I drained the cylinders before parking it wouldn't do that.

I shut the bike off and listened. When parking the bike, I now shut it off with a flick of the thumb on the "stop" switch with hands on both grips, bike in neutral or 1st as desired, me just holding the bike up as I sit on it. Then, after the motor is stopped, I release clutch if in gear, ease bike a few degrees over towards my right as I feel for side stand with left foot, extend side stand, then ease her over left onto side stand and reach up and turn key off ..... then dismount.

Gold Wings splash and throw oil around in the crankcase, all cylinders are open at back, oil gets thrown in "behind" the pistons constantly. If you set it over on the side stand straight away and then shut off, there is a quantity of hot oil pooled behind the lower left side cylinders. Hot engine oil will seep past rings no longer sealed by combustion pressures and past ring gaps and on start up, that oil will exit the combustion chamber as a puff of blue smoke. You'll usually see it come out both pipes thanks to that "middle chamber" just ahead of the mufflers.

I can't recall seeing a plume of blue smoke from her since changing my habits at shut down. I usually park her on the side stand if temporary but if she's to be parked all day like at work or longer in the basement, I put her up on center stand and shut fuel off. But my "shut down" is the same.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”