Windscreen

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
DoorCountyWI
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Windscreen

Postby DoorCountyWI » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:55 pm

I am looking to replace my 86 Aspencade windscreen. Do any of you have any experience with the tall wraparound Slipstream windscreens? Also, what is your experience between vented and non-vented? I currently have a non-vented. Thanks for your insight.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: Windscreen

Postby CrystalPistol » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:35 pm

I have used three of them wrap arounds on my 1200 over the years. I usually cut them down and taper in at top somewhat so that I am just looking over the top when focused on the roadway approximately 75-100 or so yards ahead. I do not use screws to secure the W-shield to the angles on sides, I just use good zip ties there.

My first one was to replace the OEM that was on the bike when I bought it in '95 which was pealing. I trimmed it to the same basic shape up sides and across top not too much later, it was good. Then I added a vent ... but the vent was a cheap aftermarket one and then one day the windshield picked up some scratches when I was run off the road up on Rt 56 by a oversized tractor trailer. Also broke right mirror .... trucking co. bought me new parts, offered to fix whatever.

Next one I bought I also trimmed .... then a few years ago after retiring from a LEO career, I started riding the bike to a part time job and got a wild hair to trim more .... I found that I trimmed too much and picked up a helmet buffeting at speed .... and so I installed a OEM vent from a Tulsa Tall for an 1800 that was given to me by a former trike dealer moving (it was laying near his trash pile and he said "take it"), it's a nice vent. I used the Tulsa and cut the vent area out of it on a band saw and now it's my "template" for my good vent. My cuts of the hole I do with a drill in corners and a dremel with cutoff wheel between .... file & sand to final fit.

I was looking on Ebay one night and found a new "third" one offered on Ebay that was a blemish, the blemish was up near the top and it was a "tall" (+2") ..... so I got it cheap and cut to the size I knew I had been happy at which took care of the blemish ..... and I installed my good vent. I also did the top corners a little different radius, it's my best yet.

I used some wide adhesive backed semi gloss black vinyl to cover the lower portion from vent down. I use masking tape to protect the windshield while cutting with a Makita sabre saw on low speed using a fine tooth metal cutting blade followed by fine file work and sanding with paper around wood block and then, polishing of the edge.

As you can see, I've ridden it a bunch both vented and non vented. I find that in hot weather the vent helps with cooling me and it alleviates a lot of the head buffeting at speed with the shorted windshield .... and on those days when I ride in at 7:00AM or so, when the morning mist is encountered .... I found that the vent acted like a defroster vent as I could direct air up and the windshield doesn't fog up near the river so much.
Attachments
Last edited by CrystalPistol on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flash1942
Motorcycle: '84 Aspencade

Postby flash1942 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Looks great!!! I wish I had the nerve to do the same. I trashed a tall one that came with my bike by not holding it firm enough while cutting and cracked it. I DO NOT like the tall windshields at all. I want to see over and not thru.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE
Pearl Bermuda Green

Postby bellboy40 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:38 pm

That is a nice looking shield, Crystal. Of course, everything I have seen that you worked on looks first class. I like your work. :)

DoorCountyWI

Postby DoorCountyWI » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:25 pm

Wow, thanks for all the great info Crystal Pistol! Your bike looks great. One question, where do the angles on the wraparound attach to with the zip ties? Thanks!

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:00 pm

Nice vent! Is that an item that can be purchased seperately, and if so from where? Does the vent direct air up or just back?
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:44 pm

I have had a vented Slipstreamer "Tall" on my '85 Aspy for about 13 years.. and I love it !!
After about 11 years , it seemed " Foggy " but I polished the hell out of it,with Plexus , and it snapped right back to clear .

It is tall, and I thought of cutting it down.... but I am also "tall" and with the sheepskin on the seat, I can just peek over the top, if I sit up straight ... so I left it .
If I Lemon pledge it before a trip, rain drops collect and within a minute or so at 80 km ( about 50 mph ) it all clears itself ...
Battery free windshield wipers ... lol

Heavy rain means water is falling over the top, into my lap, and all over the dash... so I added a edging of 3/8 split tubing from home Depot , and it nicely conducts the droplets away to the sides

The vent is nice on really hot days, but I really dislike riding at 100° so if I bought another, it might be without the vent .
----------------------------
Best Feature ?
From the side, a tall Slipstreamer is made to follow the gently decreasing curve of the fairing, while the OEM was a shorter " stubby" upward curving 'Shield.
I have had many many people ask me, "What have you DONE to your bike ? ".
The Slipstreamer changes the whole line of the fairing and bike . I really like that .. Looks different and very sharp !!

----------------------------
Worst Feature ?

Its a " Tall" but also slightly wider windshield.
Two years ago, I raised the handlebars, for comfort , just an inch . It always used to happen but now its more noticeable:
On ultra slow turns , mostly when walking it backwards , the bars, and brake and clutch reservoirs actually hit the edge of the windshield, limiting your turn radius slightly . I never turn that tight when underway, but I guess if I was in competition... I'd have to narrow it down or remove the windshield .
If I ever remove it (to replace the headlight bulb , maybe ? ) I might get out a fine jigsaw blade , and wasp-waist it a bit on the lowest 6 inches .
Its not been a real problem , except maybe at 2 mph , in walking turns .

-----------------------------
Most unlikely feature ?
I was warned about the "urban myth " that Slipstreamers and Tulsa tall windshields can actually focus the sun's rays and melt your dash, and plastic around the radio.
Hmmmm... Really ? Really , Really ?

However I have taken to adding a cool looking black T-shirt from deep in Alaska to the 'shield whenever I park . Keeps everything cooler on the dash, and shines up the plastic when its added and removed ... but I never really believed that particular myth .
However ...
In 2014, on a very sunny AM, about 7:30 AM , I was loading the machine from my hotel room , with the black T-shirt all packed away ...
I noticed a thin tendril of smoke and a bright spot on the left glove box cover ... touched it with my finger... really really hot .. and it softened the leatherette .. I quickly covered the 'shield , looked at the sun's angle ... Thought " Hmmmm" and continued packing up .

So ... there you are , believe the myth or not ... Just once in 14 years and 125000 km driving ... a focused ray at the correct angle ..

I guess I shall continue with the black T-shirt ... LOLOL

But I really like my Slipstreamed "Tall"

SilverDave

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks! :D

julimike54 wrote:Nice vent! Is that an item that can be purchased seperately, and if so from where? Does the vent direct air up or just back?

It's got a bluish tint almost, it was removed from a Tulsa Tall W-shield that fit a 1800 once upon a time. I believe it's a Honda OEM vent .... it's of some better quality than the one I used to have. The groove across the top of the outer piece I did have to widen some as this windshield is 3/16" thick, I used a dremel. Because of that, I drilled two small holes at top corners for small black zip ties. No one notices.

It has 5 positions and when closed, a small bit of pressure is relieved upwards through the top narrow vents slots.

Wide open

Middle open

The "GAS?" tag is just a reminder to me who turns the fuel off when parked long periods over a few minutes. I flip it out of the way when riding.

DoorCountyWI wrote:Wow, thanks for all the great info Crystal Pistol! Your bike looks great. One question, where do the angles on the wraparound attach to with the zip ties? Thanks!

I believe they came with the first wrap around, originally they had you install a plastic bolt I think ..... that was years ago. It's possible that I made the tabs as I really ain't sure now..... ??? The aluminum tabs were pop riveted in place in the '90s and there is a matching piece of flat aluminum inside the fairing like a "washer".
There is a piece of rubber that looks like edge molding that the lower edge of the wrap around sits on. Pardon the dust.

Attachments

DoorCountyWI

Postby DoorCountyWI » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:24 am

I ended up going with the Slipstream and am very happy with it so far. Great wind protection, looks sharp, and makes my stereo sound better (it really does!)Thanks again for all the input.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”