Clutch Issue

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
chickenwing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Clutch Issue

Postby chickenwing » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:29 pm

First, I would like to say, while new to this forum, I have frequented other forums and know that "Noobs" who don't search first are chastised. So I did search and found limited info.

I am looking at a 1984 Aspencade 1200 tomorrow. The price is low compared to others I have seen. It does have some minor problems.

The one, more major problem, is the clutch. In his ad he states "....the clutch just stopped working (may be the master cylinder..."

While searching, I found lots of posts about bleeding the master cylinder (MC) but none about them failing.

Of course my first question to him will be, " was the clutch slipping (or acting funny in ay way before it stopped working."

Also, a quick feel of the lever will probably reveal if the MC is generating pressure.

My question, Is it common for MC's to fail?

What other questions should I ask him?

What else should I be looking for?

Lebouc
Motorcycle: GL1500SE 2000

Re: Clutch Issue

Postby Lebouc » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:45 pm

If its an '84 Aspencade 1200 , just makes sure that the stator is in good condition cuz thats expensive , specially if you don't do it yourself , the motor needs to be taken out to change it , its a 9 hours job for an experienced mecanic , plus $400 to $500 worth of parts !!!!

chickenwing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby chickenwing » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:16 am

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the guy sold it out from under me.

Sometimes even when you:
    call as soon as the ad is posted
    are the first caller
    ask when is the first possible time I can look at it
    offer to pay full asking price
    promise cash
It isn't enough.

Oh well, the search continues. Thanks for the tip on the stator though. That's the kinda info I need while searching

Lebouc
Motorcycle: GL1500SE 2000

Postby Lebouc » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:46 am

If you're looking for a Goldwing around those years , all '84 & '85 Aspencades and even few Interstates are at risk for stator problems , i used to be a mecanic in a Honda shop and Honda would garanty them until 1990 cuz they had problems with them !!!!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”