Battery Drain will not charge

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
NBWINGER
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Limited Edition GL1200

Battery Drain will not charge

Postby NBWINGER » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:22 pm

I have a 1985 LTD ED Goldwing with the onboard computer and 97000 kilometers.

With or without the key in the ignition the map of north America flashes on the screen.

After sitting in the shop awaiting service on another issue my 1 yr old battery drained and now will not take a charge. The battery was not an issue prior to the bike sitting in the shop unattended for two weeks before they got to my service.

Any thoughts on this?
Much appreciated.

Frustrated Winger

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Battery Drain will not charge

Postby harvey01 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:20 pm

Obviously something is drawing current from the battery. Have you gotten a new battery yet and fully charged it? You will need some power to find the circuit that is drawing current.

Just curious did you leave the key in the ignition when you left the bike at the dealer? If so, any chance they left it on?

MY first action would be to pull the battery, charge it, then have it load tested to see if it is bad. It is possible the battery just gave up at the same time. How long does the bike normally sit between rides?
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

NBWINGER
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Limited Edition GL1200

Postby NBWINGER » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:34 pm

I checked on bike at dealer key was in and off. The bike was approx 3 wks since last start. Battery is 1 yr old and disconnected and charged over winter. They are doing analysis starting with battery tomorrow...fingers crossed.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:30 am

Just a thought, if your maps are flashing when the key is off then is that your drain? Could it be as simple as unplugging something? On some other applications I have installed a master switch but you would have to reset your radio stations every time you used the master switch. Just a suggestion!
Proud member Patriot Guard

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:22 am

My bike (SEi) drains the battery when sitting also. Damn electronics! After a few weeks, it's low, not dead. Honda specs a milliamp discharge rate when bike is off, if in excess of that figure, there is a problem. Don't have the spec here, book is in the garage. I have considered a master switch also. It is hard to get a completely dead battery to except a charge, don't know why this is. Try paralleling your battery with a fully charged one then put the charger on both together.
@ Bustedwing, where in the circuit, did you install that master switch? I am also considering a kill switch for the head light.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:59 pm

I put it right off the battery. I used a heavy duty switch, not a toggle switch as it would not handle the amps. But you can wire it into either the trunk or a saddle depending on the shortest route as you have to use heavy wire and it is not cheap.Most people don't have any room left in the front which would be the second choice, because every time you turn it would weaken the wire.I hope this helps. Ride safe.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”