GL1200 LTD alternator conversion.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
washandy98664
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1985 GL1200 LTD

GL1200 LTD alternator conversion.

Postby washandy98664 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:49 pm

Got my conversion done a few weeks ago. It is running ok.
I have a problem when I encounter a long wait in traffic. My RPM stay low so it seems that my battery is taking the brunt of the voltage and ends up losing charge sometimes.
I did the 1 wire conversion, but I am looking for a way to wire the alternator power directly to the bikes system along with the battery.
My electrical skills are marginal at best so any suggestions would be great.
Thanks Andy

Many thanks to vern38, as he had done the 86 SEI that was pretty much the same as my LTD.
One problem i found was getting a fuse holder for a 40amp fuse using 8g wire. I eneded up getting mine at a stereo store. It looks like a torpedo but works fine. I got a pack of 4 fuses, all for $20. I called that good.

I am going to upload some pictures I took of my conversion.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Re: GL1200 LTD alternator conversion.

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:24 am

Great looking job. In the process of finishing mine. Lots of finicky work to get it installed. I have a 55 amp alt installed. I notice that your lower left fairing is not modified. With the FI system and TPS, how did you get it so that the fairing fit. I don't want to modify mine if I don't have to.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:42 am

I also pulled the old stator and RR wiring out of the wiring harness. Honda joined the charging wires (red-white striped) from the RR to the ignition wire (red from the starter solenoid) about half way between the RR and starter solenoid in the wiring harness. If you check the RR charging wires you will notice that these are still live all the time. You may be able to connect into these wires where the RR was/is; however, as soon as the alt starts delivering charge to the battery, it is also going into the bike's electrical system through the red wire from the starter solenoid to the ignition switch.

Some people on this or other forums have actually separated out a lot of loads from the original wiring to lessen the electrical load going through the ignition switch. I have added a second fuse block and put all add-ons on this new block. I have also added a new ground bus bar for new and some old ground as well. Haven't seen a schematic of changing the electrical load distribution, but know it can be done with some time and patience.

I also notice you have what looks to me like a 1:1 pulley ratio. You could always increase the crank pulley size, or reduce the alt pulley size. I would change the alt pulley for a smaller one. This will make the alt turn faster, and keep it charging at low RPMs. It is also the easiest pulley to change.

Cheers

Ernest

washandy98664
1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby washandy98664 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 pm

What I did was grind the black vent back .
I had to take the 3 ribs down pat half way in the middle area of the black plastic.
Was kinda a trial and error. Did it 4 different times to get just enough ground off to
fit over the alternator. Now she fits real good.
On changing the alternator pulley, I really don't want to change that.
I would rather wire into the system.
My battery was new in Feb, but sat for a few months. Not sure if this effected it or not.
If I am driving at speed it charges at just over 13 volts. In traffic it seems to show about 10.5 volts on my meter.

washandy98664
1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby washandy98664 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Like I said , many thanks to vern38 for his brackets. I just measured mine to be about the same size and they work really well.
Also my alternator is marginally smaller than the pulley I got from england.
Overall my costs were well under $200 dollars. I consider this a "HUGE" win in my book.
Also keeps the better half off my back for expenses on my bikes. With 2 goldwings she sometimes looks at me with those
"WTH" eyes....LOL
I took my first and made it into a cafe bike (sorta) But most people that recognize it as a goldwing are impressed.
I am just that guy that does not follow the pack. I have a bunch of Harley riders at work that keep trying to get me to cross over to the dark side.......But I just keep telling them I can still do all my own work and have only taken them into a shop to put new tires on.

washandy98664
1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby washandy98664 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:24 pm

I do have an electrical drain.......When I turn the key on my assy shows 11.91 for voltage but when I move the key over to start it will drop down to 10.89 volts.....I have pulled apart, cleaned (contact cleaner) and dilectric greased all the connections I can find. Still have this problem.
I do have the 12.8 volts at the red with white stripe wires at the RR, but that seems to just be going to the RR and nowhere else.
I am looking for a place to wire in the 12+ volts coming from my alternator to help keep the battery charged......

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:24 pm

Took some pictures of the change to the left plate that covers the TPS. Quite a bit of material had to be removed.

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”