Center stand issue

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Center stand issue

Postby wilmo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:18 am

My c stand arm is now hitting the ground before the left foot does. I suspect it happened when putting a piece of wood under the feet and then standing on the arm to raise it for more clearance. I tried pounding it with a sledge hammer but it didn't help and I just don't like the brute force approach. How do I return the angle back to normal so that foot touches the ground?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Center stand issue

Postby dingdong » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:22 am

I really can't see the arm bending. Could be wrong. You might want to look for a rusted frame and or center stand pivot.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:38 am

That was my first response. No rust, in fact quite well greased. Also the feet are lined up with each other. This has happened over time as when I first got the bike there was clearance under the foot pad.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Can you perhaps post a picture?

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:06 am

wilmo wrote:That was my first response. No rust, in fact quite well greased. Also the feet are lined up with each other. This has happened over time as when I first got the bike there was clearance under the foot pad.

I'd still be inclined to suspect that the frame tube that the stand pivot runs inside, has cracked at each end due to internal corrosion.
I've been there! :cry: Replaced my entire frame last year!

Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
USCA# 8913
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
Bridgestone Battlax 130/70 18

Postby aj1500 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:38 am

kinda sounds like you might have twisted the left leg a little
you can try putting a bar over the arm or maybe a large pipe wrench and lifting upward while it's in the up position to get it bent back into place, make sure you have someone or something to secure the bike from tipping over
hitting it with a hammer won't really work unless you remove it and lock it into a vise
but as others have said make absolutely certain the frame is not compromized in any way first

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:41 am

As requested by wingadmin I took photos of the stand. It was this one taken straight up from the ground, which I can't see otherwise, that tells the tale. Huge cracks in the stand itself. So, does anyone have one for sale or know where to send me to inquire? There isn't any trike shops around here to ask so if you guys know of one I can email or call to find one, it would be greatly appreciated. I won't be using the center stand now that I know it's ready to break. Also, if there's a tutorial around on how to R&R this thing, please direct me to it.
Attachments

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:18 pm

Ok found a stand on ebay for $22.50 shipped, affordable. Now if someone can tell me what is involved in removing this stand... Do I just remove the two bolts shown in the photo in the previous post or is there more?

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:56 am

I had my center stand off earlier this year. It's really not that hard to do.
If I remember right, just remove the spring, loosen or remove those two bolts and then you'll pull out the pipe/tube that your center stand pivots on.
Hardest part was getting the spring back on when I was done. Somewheres I read before you start, extend the spring and put quarters, nickels or washers in the spring loops. Uh, I didn't do that. :roll:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:01 am

I may also had to remove the covers over the exhaust pipes so that pivot tube would slide out. Don't remember If I did just one or both.
Once you get started, you'll see it's a fairly simple R&R.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:37 am

That center stand can easily be mended and reinforced ..... once removed from the bike and brought to a welder's table.

Years ago when I removed my 1200's center stand to shorten it's legs 3/4" and put wider feets on it and etc ....
..... seems like I maybe had to remove one side exhaust header pipe to get that pivot tube out. Would not swear to it, just seems like I did. If so, it's a matter of loosening rear exhaust hanger bolts, loosening clamps, removing engine crash bar maybe, shifter too I thing, dropping pipes from engine and then pulling the header pipes out and maybe even just drop the muffler (now hanging by just two rear bolts) .... but I'd have to go look closer to be sure.

Anyway ..... was a worthwhile afternoon spent ..... as now it's easier to get up on the stand, the rear tire still is a hair off the pavement / concrete, and about 1/4" off in basement when I put center stand down over a piece of 1/8" plastic to ease spinning around. It also works on mother earth as long as she isn't mud, and the lock bar braces it once it's down if leaving parked for extended times ..... like at work.

The bar hooks to a bracket at the frt left mount, swings onto a pin with clip usually, but can be padlocked to a tab in center of center stand legs.
Attachments

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:02 pm

Wow, no rust on that bike in last pics! Nice!

CrystalPistol

Postby CrystalPistol » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Rusty Bike wrote:Wow, no rust on that bike in last pics! Nice!

Thank you Sir!
When not on the road or in front of a motel room, she's in the basement ..... pretty much since new (I've only had her since 1995 but I knew her 2 prior owners)

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:41 am

Ok here's the update as promised. I did end up removing the exhaust. Specifically, splitting the rear half from the dumps and also removing the left side header and engine guard. It came down to either the rear wheel or the exhaust header as you can't pull the rear half back far enough with the tire on. Then twist the exhaust down enough to clear the pipe. This was the most miserable repair, other than the stator, I've ever had to do on this bike. It took well over 4 hours and lots of swearing. Add to that the concrete floor and now everything hurts from crawling around on it. It's hell getting old!
Now let's talk about that 'shortcut' with the spring and loading it with washers. Bull$h1t! All that did was ruin the spring. After I pulled the washers out it just remained that way-stretched out. I now have to find a new spring. Don't do this, people, it's a scam. It seemed like a good idea but doesn't work. I'll also have to come up with a way to put the new one on when I get it.
The old stand was worse than the picture shows. It was completely cracked all the way around the tunnel or where the pipe goes through it on the right side. The only thing holding it on was the top weld. That crack was about 3/8" wide where it separated. The left side was 1/4" crack in the center of the leg and spreading. The new stand, holding the bike, shows a completely different angle and profile than what I'm used to seeing. Plus it's a lot easier to get on and off than the cracked one. I think it was damaged for a long time and I just didn't know it.
I'm beginning to have second thoughts about owning a 30 year old bike.....

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:29 am

I'm sorry you had such a hard time changing out your center stand.
However, when I read your post concerning the springs, I had to go back and find where I had read to do that. I got my shop manual out, but it wasn't in there.
I finally found it though. It was here on goldwingdocs. Under the DIY section it's titled "How To Remove Main Stand Or Side Stand Springs".
I thought I was passing on information that would help you, was not trying to scam you or intentionally make you damage your bike in any way.

Again, my apologies.

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:51 pm

Do not feel you have to apologize, it was not in any way your fault. The theory sounded really good when I read it and you were not the only one who referenced to that. I do not blame you or anyone else for this, it simply was an experiment that failed, these things happen. I'm going to try it again but in a different way with a cheaper spring. If this works, I'll report on it in detail. I think there are some caveats to the washer idea and i just didn't observe them.

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:11 pm

I bought a pair of springs at Home Depot that were about 1" shorter than the OEM spring. These were every bit as beefy as the OEM. I stretched it on my floor jack-one end on the axle and the other on a tube on the tongue. Then stuffed every coil with a penny. That grew the spring to about 5". While pulling the end onto the stand while the other end is on the pin, the pennies fell out. Spring still not on the stand. 3 more attempts at just brute forcing the spring onto the stand accomplished the goal. I now have 2 springs on it. One the sprung OEM that on its own will not keep the stand up all the way and this new one. Time will tell if it holds after getting it hot as it rides real close to the exhaust tie over just above the stand when folded. So stretching it with pennies (or washers) was ultimately ineffective, however it may have worked with the OEM spring. Why the original spring did not recover from the same procedure, I'm going to assume simply fatigue. It has been in use for 30 years after all. If this works out well, I very well may replace the OEM with the other spring in the package when I feel I have super strength again. :roll:. I feel better having 2 springs on there-backup.

CrystalPistol

Postby CrystalPistol » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:13 pm

I use brake spring pliars that have long handles and on the end of one is a "spoon" shaped cut out that fits over the pin, the hook of the spring on the handle, pry to pull spring up and over ..... it pops into place.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”