Progressive rear air shock

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Progressive rear air shock

Postby julimike54 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:39 pm

The rear air shocks on the wing started leaking air only while on the center stand. Several emails and telephone calls to Progressive Tech yielded that they couldn't be rebuilt. They are an older version that has about 14,000 miles on them. The leaking down while on the center stand has gone on a while, I was hoping to ride out the remaining part of the year. Murphy had another plan. Last Friday I went to check bike over for the Pie Run and the rear shocks wouldn't air up at all. Decided that whatever was leaking had failed. Ordered a new set of shocks and today started taking the tupperware off to find this...

Both sides the top is hanging out of the body, no wonder it won't hold air! After removing the shocks I found this on them both..

The inside parts (damper?) have unscrewed themselves from the top rod!

So my question is , has anyone rebuilt Progressive air shocks and can lend any pointers? I'd like to repair them and have them for when the new set does this :shock: :shock:

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Asp
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200AH Aspencade

Re: Progressive rear air shock

Postby Asp » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:03 am

They rebuild easy enough, providing you don't need any parts except the seals, which are the same as the original Honda ones.
I resealed one of mine & refreshed the oil (2oz of ATF) but am still looking for a spring for the other.
Link here;
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33000&p=195955#p195955

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:09 am

Can you screw them back in and try them? Never heard of Progressive 416s doing that on their own. Did you buy the bike with them already installed .... or did you originally buy them yourself and know their history? I ask as if they were put together correctly, no way they should have ever unscrewed themselves. The bodies aren't free to rotate once assembled but the piston on the end might work it'self loode in use over time .... it's way down inside that lower part.

I have them on a '85 GL1200A that I put on in 1996 or 1997 and a set is on the '97 GL1500 Lehman trike since it was triked in 1998 and I've never had a loss of air ..... not even after sitting for months in cold weather. Mine also have alloy bodies and I though all Progressive 416s were same but I have some extras given me and two of them also have chrome finished bodies.

There used to be a kit offered by Progressive which upgraded stock Honda air shocks with Progressive's springs. And I've read many many accounts and such that Progressive and Honda OEM use same seals.

In 1981 I was issued a new 1981 Ford police car and it handled like crap from day one. Less than a few thousand miles and I kept complaining to the Ford dealer and so they finally ordered a set of new shocks for the front and I was there when the mechanic took the bottom bolts loose on the rt frt shock under the LCA ..... whole lower body of shock hit the floor when he turned his back ..... top of shock with shaft hanging in snug upper bushings still. Handled great after that.

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:17 pm

I would send those pics to Progressive and tell them to repair or replace your shocks. Do you have the receipts? Those pics can be a very harmful to sales if posted on the web! 14,000 miles...That's ****!

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:04 am

Sorry about delay in responding, weekend stuff, haha.

CrystalPistol, they can't be screwed back together, without removing the components. I guess in the taking apart and pulled the rod out, the part it screws into is sideways in the hole? or something is (hard to see inside the small hole). If you notice there are four washers on that rod, the other side when I slid it out had no washers on the rod, I think their inside somewhere. Hence the reason for the question of taking them apart. I'm presuming that the thing was built without a thread locking compound, or they recognized they had a design issue and came out with a new model to address the issue.

These are not 416s, they were bought and installed in 1997 at the Honda Hoot in Ashville, yes I have the receipt. They are called 1626C. They were sold/installed by the Progressive dealer (Tumbleweed Int.), don't know if they are in business.

I was like the Ford mechanic, I still can't believe what I've found. If there was some kind of issue like this, you'd think the Progressive Tech would have said to investigate 'X', but instead they stated no parts, they can't be rebuilt.

Rusty Bike, I've sent 3 emails so far with the pics and links to the web postings so far (don't think I've linked this one yet) and I'll send another today. Was speaking with someone that stated they'd rebuilt a different kind of Progressive shock, many years ago, and they had instructions and all. I'm afraid they just aren't the same outfit they used to be, I may resort to a phone call or just dig into them on my own. If I do it on my own I'll try to document the rework.

By the way tried to talk to the local dealer, they aren't interested at all. Their response, can't do anything with those! Felt like they wanted me to go away and quickly. Won't be doing business with them.
Mike

Asp
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200AH Aspencade

Postby Asp » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:13 am

The complete damper cartridges are still available as a shock rebuild kit on ebay;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive-Sus ... e1&vxp=mtr

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:10 pm

Since the Progressive part numbers the seller references don't lead to that product on the Progressive web site, I'm not so sure what I might be buying. Search of Progressive site doesn't reveal an air shock damper available, you can get others. Looking at the instructions on the ebay listing, it appears that this kit is to convert stock GL shocks to the Progressive damper. Since mine is a Progressive shock, I'm not sure if this would do anything for my situation. That assembly appears to be the bottom half of the shock? What I have is the top of the shock connection point has pulled out of the body, guessing that it was threaded to something to keep it pulled down snug so as to seal the top connection, which holds the 'Air' into the shock. Since I don't know what is in there I'm guessing. Looking in the top hole (as best as possible) I think I see 2 springs, a black round object (not metallic) (might be a bump stop for full compression?), oil and something below the black object (that might be what to top rod attaches onto). After that I have no clue. Hence the reason I'm looking for instructions. Failing those, I'll do as I've always done, figure out how to take apart and maybe figure out how to put back together. Would be nice to have not leaked any oil out of both shocks, so as to measure that amount.
Mike

CrystalPistol

Postby CrystalPistol » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:48 pm

julimike54 wrote:
CrystalPistol, they can't be screwed back together, without removing the components. I guess in the taking apart and pulled the rod out, the part it screws into is sideways in the hole? or something is

Well ..... I had to ask ..... but that's pretty much what I figured.

julimike54 wrote:These are not 416s, they were bought and installed in 1997 at the Honda Hoot in Ashville, yes I have the receipt. They are called 1626C. They were sold/installed by the Progressive dealer (Tumbleweed Int.), don't know if they are in business.

Mine were purchased in about 1997 at a Honda lawnmower / dirt bike shop who had catalogs and made me a package deal, rear shocks, air line adapters, fork springs .... $300. Mine are the standard length shorter of those for a GL1200, 14" eye to eye centers # 416-1626A. There is a #416-1641A which also fits, was once listed as optional, it is a longer shock at 14.25" eye to eye center. (I know .... their web page list the 14.25 as standard, the 14.0 as short ..... but my OEM were 14.0" long eye to eye .... the 14.25" ones used to be listed as the optional ones???.)

I don't know what the "C" means ..... I wonder if that's the "cartridge" version for rebuilding oem shocks that was available at one time long ago? I know Progressive shock part numbers include the series number.

Again .... mine also have alloy bodies and I though all Progressive 416s were same but I have some extras given me and two of them also have chrome finished bodies with Progressive decals on them .... so ???? I have a set on a GL1500 trike that also have alloy bodies, it was triked in 1998.

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:08 pm

If memory serves right (haha), I think the C was the chrome option. They are the 14.25" version.
Mike

CrystalPistol

Postby CrystalPistol » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:32 pm

julimike54 wrote:If memory serves right (haha), I think the C was the chrome option. They are the 14.25" version.

You know .... that thought occurred to me after posting?

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:14 am

After 4 emails they finally responded with non information. Sent another email :shock: the saga goes on.........
Mike

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:43 am

Well an update....they've sent the assembly instructions for the 416s. I'll use those, I guess, to reverse assemble them. They advised to use red thread lock on the rod (no evidence of it on the rod), maybe that's why it came apart. Someone asleep at the assembly station :lol:

Any way, when it cools down some, I'll photo the progress and post back here on out come.

Mike

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”