Inconsistant Air Ride adjustment

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
NBWINGER
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Limited Edition GL1200

Inconsistant Air Ride adjustment

Postby NBWINGER » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:17 am

When I turn on my 85 ltd I keep my fingers crossed that my air ride will work properly. Sometimes my system allows me to set the pressures and other times it gives me an EEE error. I'd say it's about 50/50. Love it when it works hate it otherwise. I use the centre stand and I ensure my tank pressure is at 40 lbs before trying to set but that doesn't seem to make any difference. When I am able to set my pressures it seems I am most often unable to get more than .5 kph in front and 1.8 in rear. I have new seals front and back. I am getting dark fluid blowing back from my inflation valve on my tank when filling with air. Any thoughts are appreciated.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: Inconsistant Air Ride adjustment

Postby CrystalPistol » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:59 am

I have an '85 Aspencade, it has an on board compressor and air direction valves and the lines and shocks, NO TANK?

I know that back when I first bought it in 1995 when it was stock, I seemed to need to adjust often and soon I learned that best was always adjust the rear first, then purge the valves before doing the front as otherwise the higher pressures stored for rear would drastically increase the fronts way past their design limits .... or something like that. I changed it all in 1997 when I installed Progressive front fork springs, rear 416 series air spring shocks, adapted the rears to Honda air system, and removed & plugged the front air line there where it bolted to the fork tube. I also plugged the fork tube. With Progressive fork springs there is NO need for fork air and now I have no issues setting rear shock pressures ..... and they almost never need adjusting anyway as they don't leak down at all ...... even over months.

The liquid you describe ..... not sure what that is.

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:32 am

There is no air storage tank on your bike unless someone added it! The dark fluid is probably funky rust water. Not Good. The air compressor has a dryer that removes water vapor from the system. The air drier is probably fouled. This air drier should be serviced when the contained desiccant is pink, it should be blue. There is an inspection window on the air drier. There are also valves in the air drier head that get stuck and prevent the system from working. You probably need to remove the compressor/air drier assembly, clean and service it. Clean out air lines and front and rear shocks. See my "How To" thread on the SEi compressor removal. I don't know anything about the EEE display. Good luck...Rusty

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:55 pm

Yeah, could be funky rusty water build up. I recall there was a way to dry out the desicant beads in a MW oven ..... I've done it years ago, likely wouldn't hurt to do it again .... but have to look it up on "the net". Also, have seen packets of desicant on Ebay and Gold Wing online stores, likely your dealer has new as well.

NBWINGER
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Limited Edition GL1200

Postby NBWINGER » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:17 pm

Thanks guys for your thoughts. The more research I do the more complicated things seem to get. Had a suggestion of possible faulty relay from Honda tech. Any points of view in that regard?

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”