What is a good carb cleaner for an ultrasonic use?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
foreck
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200 interstate
1979 cx500d silverwing
2006 c50 boulevard

What is a good carb cleaner for an ultrasonic use?

Postby foreck » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:02 am

Hello!! I pulled the carbs off my '87 interstate yesterday on a whim and boy was I surprised! All these years I've been mighty afraid of taking them out because I might damage something...pretty much 8 bolts and a couple of hoses holding them in?? Wow they practically fell out of the bike.

The bike has been sitting for about 2 years.

I bought a 6 liter ultrasonic cleaner from eBay about a year ago to specifically do this job. What liquid should I put in it to clean my carbs? I have been contemplating white vinegar. I've heard of pine sol, simple green (I hate that stuff) and boiling lemon juice.

What do you all recommend?

Also, I heard someone once mention that they bought the metric o-rings from a generic source store. Does anyone know the sizes that I'd need? I've seen the o rings on ebay, I might go with those.

I'm on a super tight budget. Pretty much have to accomplish everything with my slapdash knavery or don't do it at all.

For example, my radiator is leaking (which is why I parked it) so I'm considering buying a heater core out of a junk car in a junk lot and modifying it to attach to the bike.

I know to disassemble and keep the parts for each carb separated. I was thinking of doing half at a time and dunking it into the ultrasonic cleaner, leaving the other half out and assembled so I have a model to use.

Will pb blaster hurt anything if I need to use it to loosen up screws and what not?

I would love to use randakks kit but I simply can't afford it.

Thanks!

foreck
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200 interstate
1979 cx500d silverwing
2006 c50 boulevard

Re: What is a good carb cleaner for an ultrasonic use?

Postby foreck » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:05 am

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”