84 Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
BanditJake
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Aspencade GL1200

84 Aspencade

Postby BanditJake » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:28 pm

Good Afternoon Crew

I have been registered for a year had bought another Aspencade last year but I think I may not repair it.

Two weeks ago bought another 84 Aspencade and it has exhaust leak so I got to taking it apart and when I got to unbolting the right header started from right side first worked to the others the third and fourth noticed oil stain on the nuts.

I'm wondering is it valve seal allowing oil to come passed. Later on after I got it all off I started the engine bit of smoke but what got me right side portal I could see flames coming out I looked on left side didn't notice any flames.

Question is can it be just valve oil seal or worse yet rings on piston.or can it be that piston be running rich cause flames

I am going to do a compression check and see how that is but bike starts and runs well so it seems.

Thank You,

George

BanditJake
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Aspencade GL1200

Re: 84 Aspencade

Postby BanditJake » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:15 pm

Well I got the exhaust almost all welded up where it had rotted I put new extension between the header and cross over inlet I refitted on the bike tack welded then dropped it with intention removing it from under bike and weld it fully but my garage is small and I couldn't get it out because of the center stand. So I welded as much as I can and put it back on. I started the bike better sound but still leaking. So next tackle is to lift the bike up once I disconnect exhaust but will have to do that some place else my brother has engine lift which is big brute can lift 2000 lbs. I'll need a sling first. I won't need to lift it to high to accomplish this.

As for the oil leak I am thinking it is valve cover but I'll deal with that at another time. This hot humid weather here in Ontario is to much.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”