stator wire question/front case cover leak

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

stator wire question/front case cover leak

Postby walker70 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:13 am

First the stator,I noticed that the wires seem to get kind of toasty,is this normal for them to be hot cause it does not seem like it is causing any problems,it is the three yellow wires that come from the stator up to the harness on the frame,next I noticed the front case cover was leaking forward of the weep hole on the water pump,will I have to replace all the gaskets and orings or just the orings,also if I do have to take the front cover off do I really have to unplug the gear position wire from the top harness,photo attached is of the oil leak.

walker70

Re: stator wire question/front case cover leak

Postby walker70 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:11 am

Hi,for those interested,I found my stator problem, it was the wires going into the plug connection so I just did away with the plug and ran them directly to each other,plus on the case cover I just need to replace the gaskets. :D

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby keithg64 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:11 am

Good save. Yes the 3 yellow wires have been an issue of melting at the plug. Do what you did ,cut the plug out and solder all the wires together. They have started fires before.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

walker70

Postby walker70 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:33 pm

No,I used butt connectors for each wire and did them one at a time so I didn't get it hooked up wrong since all wires were yellow with black stripe,then put heat shrink over the connections. :D

walker70

Postby walker70 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:05 am

This is a curiosity question,I know I have solved the hot wire problem but what I would like to is this,the yellow wires are all with a black stripe on them so does it matter if you mix them up,I'm sure it does but I cut and repaired them one at time,also I have noticed the wires still are a bit warm to the touch at where I joined them but I am positive this is normal,it beats the heck out of them being like an oven burner. :lol:

Asp
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200AH Aspencade

Postby Asp » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:45 am

Those yellow wires can connect any way around, but personally as an ex electrician I don't think splices are man enough for the job, especially when they have seen a few damp winters. Best get them soldered to be certain of no future issues.

walker70

Postby walker70 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:34 am

Hi,thanks for the info,I will go ahead and solder them just to be safe. :D

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:31 am

The problem with even good butt connectors is that these three yellows carry from 50 to 70 volts AC .
Thats more than most butt connectors are rated for .

The small contact area of a butt connector raises the resistance and temp, causes corrosion of the contact surface , which raises the resistance again , and so on , until either the rect/reg fails , or the stator fails .

I have met GL1200 owners who have used big tough marine Crimp connectors ... but I don't really recommend tha.t

The best method is to hard solder, with a Western Union splice , the three yellows , and ALL the wires ( 3 Yellows, green, red , etc ) at the other end , on the rect/reg .

Like this :
http://electriciantraining.tpub.com/141 ... ces-46.htm

This is a difficult splice to do really well 9 times , so I'd recommend doing 2 or 3 practise splices on scrap wire of the same gauge, to be sure you can do it without any " Cold Solder " joints.

When finished , if you can find them , triple nested shrink wrap ... ( Radio shack ? )

If all splices are good , the wires should run fairly cool from here on in .

I found I had to splice in about 5 in of extra wire to do the stator end splices, so thats another 3 splices

Heavy Sigh

SilverDave

walker70

Postby walker70 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:14 am

I see your point about the butt connectors,that is what I did to my wires,will try that western union splice,like you say I will need to practice before tackling the thing again,I know that right now the wires only get a little warm around the connectors on first startup then cool off,like you say there are going to be heavy sighs,also no Radio Shack anymore where I live. :D

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”