Christine--she's baaaaack!

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Christine--she's baaaaack!

Postby wilmo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:37 pm

One more thing to add to the pile. I get a call today about buying the bike. We'll arrange for a time for tomorrow-maybe. While riding back to work from lunch, the speedo decides to quit. I read 0 on the readout, the odometer doesn't move and the trip meter is stuck. Great.
This happened the last time an interested party called but a different part of the bike would break. I swear this is Christine reincarnated.
So, I'm assuming its the cable/drive assembly down by the wheel and it connects somewhere deep in the fairing. Rather than fix it, I'll discount it.
The reason I posted in this section is to get other things to look for besides the sensor assy, which I just found out is discontinued. :o
I'm not getting a good feeling having her around now.....

tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo

Re: Christine--she's baaaaack!

Postby tbeiler » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:20 pm

Check the speedo gear, part 44806-MG9-003 GEAR, SPEEDOMETER, its the plastic gear on the left side of the front wheel, part of the box assembly, part number 44800-MG9-013 BOX ASSY.
Mine was kaput a while ago, and when I got a used box assembly with a good gear, now everything works like a charm.
The above is for 1986 part numbers, not sure if yours is same or not, but you get the idea.
When mine went the auto cancellers also went on the fritz as well as speedo showing o and odometer not working.
Its an easy fix if this is the issue.
Good luck.

plumbermullins
Motorcycle: 82 standard w/vetter & kg bags
77gl1000 standard

Postby plumbermullins » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:40 am

If your display is digital for your speedometer the sender might have gone bad. the original replacement is NA, but a 2000 Valkyrie will fit just cut the connector off and reconnect your old one the color code is the same on the wires. Worked on my SEI

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks for that info guys but I think the sensor is kaput. There is nothing inside the hole to spin. I pulled it off today inside there is nothing. The tab on the gear box is there and I can move it slightly but I didn't try real hard. Anyway, isn't there supposed to be a slotted drive for that tab? Other wise it would just spin in free air...

tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo

Postby tbeiler » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Try lifting the front wheel off the ground, (jack up with a 2x4 under the engine to lift weel), then spin the wheel and see if the tab turns freely. If it does not turn along with your wheel, then your issue is the plastic gear, and they can seize / strip out when they aren't lubed once in a while.
If the tab does spin freely with the wheel turning, then you will need to check the sensor function and all electrical connections upstream, there are some tests you can do to check if sensor is good, just search on this forum, there are many posts regarding sensor check.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”