poorboy alternator purchase for GL1200.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
mlsprowl@yahoo.com
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

poorboy alternator purchase for GL1200.

Postby mlsprowl@yahoo.com » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:01 pm

I'm looking to purchase the " Don Poorboy Piggot" kit for the GL 1200 alternator conversion kit. I did a search on this forum and it said he was deceased. Even so, is there Someone that sells this full conversion kit? I have two GL1200's ( one is the sidecar bike) and I have replaced the stator in one of them and I don't feel like doing it again. If I can not find the "poorboy" conversion kit I will do an engine swap. One of my 1200's was totaled and I am waiting for my e-Bay parts to come back from the painters/pinstripers to reassemble it BUT if I can't get the poorboy system I will do an engine swap to the newer bike (1986) as the 1985 has a new stator and alot less miles + it shifts without the little "clunk". I really wanted both as I also have a 1989 GL1500 ( a BEAUtyfull bike) and I don't acquire them to sell but to ride. Too Much Info... I'm looking to buy an alternator kit. cant find one on eBay or on here!

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Re: poorboy alternator purchase for GL1200.

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:42 am

Lots of information on this and other forums including very detailed drawings. The brackets for the alternator are not hard to fabricate. The crank pulley can be had from an '89 prelude power steering pump - friction fit on the 12 mm crank bolt. You still have some fitting to do so a "kit" per say only puts parts on the table. Finding an alternator belt that fits is challenging as most auto parts stores ask what it is for and a GW is not listed. Sourcing the parts yourself and having the brackets made (I used 1" angle) kept the cost to about $200.00 CDN for myself.

Source the parts first, search this and other forums for information, and all will go well.

It's a great mod.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”