Starting problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
oldman

Starting problem

Postby oldman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:23 pm

Newbie here with a problem, my name is oldman and I could sure use some help on 1987 Aspencade. First up todate on what I've been doing. The wing started and ran fine almost every thing worked on it, almost, the air compressor and a couple other small funtions. Nothing to keep it from starting and running. Lots of extra wiring lights mudulators and such. To make a long story short I ended up pulling the front fairing, removing the pump and all the wiring harness, I found a couple of wires that had been accidently cut during all the accessories being added,made repairs to wiring and reinstalled each time I made a repair I started the bike and made sure everything else was still working. So far so good, replace the pump and switches, they worked, replaced the lights,cb everything works, final run thru everything checks out untill I tried to start it. For the first time it didn't start, starter spun the engine over just fine but did not fire, occasionally it will back fire, once and then resume spinning. Spark plugs wet so assuming it's getting fuel. Tried turning the engine kill switch on and off and every once in a while it would sound like it might start but only for a split second, then back to spinning and the occasional backfire. the pdf file is missing the pages I think I need so I have two questions, one is there any where I can disconnect or jump the kill switch with out cutting any wires and two has anyone else run into this same problem that wouldn't mind sharing their answer with me? I know this was long especially for a newbie's first post, but I'm brain dead after all the rewiring I've just finished. Thanks

Oldman
Perservere to endure

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Starting problem

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:58 pm

If it seems to catch and fire/backfire once in a while, then you are getting spark, which for the most part rules out the kill switch being the problem.

The question is, how MUCH spark. If there isn't enough voltage to generate a good, hot spark, the engine won't fire. How is your battery? What voltage at the battery are you showing when you are cranking?

oldman

Postby oldman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Before it stopped starting it would start on 10 or 11 volts I slow charged it all night, dryed the plugs, even replaced them. I had checked for spark but only on one plug. Today two plugs were firing and two plugs were dead, so how likely is that I've lost a coil?

PS thanks for the quick reply!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:21 am

Depends on which two plugs. 1-2 use one coil, and 3-4 use another.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”