reistalling the engine

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
retired tech
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Interstate

reistalling the engine

Postby retired tech » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:11 pm

I started to install the engine by getting the driveshaft u-joint slipped on the transmission output shaft. Then I got the lower right engine mount lined up, put the bolt in with the nut on loosely. I installed the removable frame member on the left side and fought to get the lower left mount lined up, bolt in with nut loose. None of the other mounts will line-up. The frame has never been damaged or twisted. This is my first gold wing, not first motorcycle and I removed / installed numerous engines with no problems with mounting points lining up. Wondered if anyone had this problem before??? Thank-you in advance for any help any of you might provide in resolving my problem.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Re: reistalling the engine

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:14 pm

I put the engine back in my '85 LTD in July and had similar issues. I found that the process required a lot of patience because the engine is not balanced equally. I had to use small pry bars at times to line up the mounting brackets. Make sure the intake manifold is out of the way. Not a lot of room for installation, just needs patience. A second set of hands also helps. Had to use wedges judiciously to level the engine when putting in place with the floor stand.

I thought I had done something wrong as well, but had not. Best I can offer.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

retired tech
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Interstate

Postby retired tech » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:23 pm

Thank you for answering, at least I'm not the only one having this problem. I was afraid to pry too much, but I guess it's the nature of the beast. Thanks again for your answer.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:34 pm

No worries - I found that getting the engine lined up on install needed quite a few tweaks because of the lack of room. Good luck.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:59 am

yup you just have to get creative and definately a second helper on the other side will make things go much smoother. That way both of you can see things simultaneously to shift it around to line up. Starting with the shaft and right side mount is the first step so you got that right. From there it's brute force and creative finagling. don't tighten anything fully untill all mounts are started.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”