White Smoke

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade with sidecar
1989 Yamaha XV250 Virago, Route 66 model

White Smoke

Postby Saintjude33 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:38 am

So- with the help of a huge amount of reading, these forums have helped me go from an uber-novice, to an actual "I now trust my abilities" Goldwing tech. Not saying I'm heading to Honda for a job application, but I did the starter Saturday, and the Electrical Connections wiring harness conversion Sunday. I'm very happy with the results.

Unfortunately, a new problem has reared it's ugly head, and I'm afraid of the worst..

My Aspy started blowing HUGE clouds of white smoke, and it smells like maple syrup. It's coming out of BOTH pipes, and there is a tiny puddle under one of the joints in the right side tail pipe. I'm not sure it it's oil or coolant, it really doesn't have a scent, and it's hard to tell if it's oily. Is this indicative of a bad head gasket?

It's starting and running, but seems like it's lacking the power it had a week ago, and the temp is not really going past two bars (digital temp gage) so I know it's not overheating, but this may be because the right side is not burning gas, wet plug?

Let me know what you think, and how difficult (time-wise) is a head gasket job. I've done the stator, so pulling the engine is the least of my worries.

Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 aspencade sei

Re: White Smoke

Postby paneled » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:16 pm

dip your finger tip in the puddle it leaves and taste it, if it is sweet it is antifreeze.
taste and spit!!!!
86 aspy sei
54 chevy panel truck
68 chevy van
69 chevy van
64 chevy van

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:52 am

Walnuts? :shock: It sounds like head gasket. Hard to imagine blowing both at the same time. Check your oil for coolant and your oil / coolant level.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Postby kwild » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:32 pm

There is a cross-over chamber on the stock exhaust making it difficult to determine if it's right or left side. Best plan would be to do both sides and ride knowing they are both good.

84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”