have spark and fuel no start

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
KitaDad
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing aspencade 1200

have spark and fuel no start

Postby KitaDad » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 pm

just finished rebuilding the carbs on my 1200. didn't take apart from each other just pulled the bowl and cleaned the jet holes and air holes. put it all back together not I can't get it to fire. I have spark on all four cyls and fuel is going to carbs? not sure what to check. was running crappy before but was running. stuck! any help would be great.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Re: have spark and fuel no start

Postby Maz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:58 am

KitaDad wrote:just finished rebuilding the carbs on my 1200. didn't take apart from each other just pulled the bowl and cleaned the jet holes and air holes. put it all back together not I can't get it to fire. I have spark on all four cyls and fuel is going to carbs? not sure what to check. was running crappy before but was running. stuck! any help would be great.

If fuel is getting to the carbs (loosen drain screws to confirm) and you have a spark, is fuel getting to the motor? Take the plugs out after trying to start it and see if they are wet with fuel. You say you've "...cleaned the jet holes and air holes" but have you really cleaned them and have you cleaned all of them? If fuel is getting from the carbs to the engine and you have spark, the only other things you need are air, compression and sparking at the right time.

Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

KitaDad

Postby KitaDad » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:47 pm

so I pulled to plugs to check them last night. nasty old and dirty. grab some new plugs on the way home tonite popped them in and bam! fired up. didn't stay running but still have all the air cleaner and stuff off. Choke is not working right either. but at least it fired. Thanks for the help.
Dave

KitaDad

Postby KitaDad » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:22 pm

so as it turns out it runs but crappy. no fuel getting to the front right carb. any thoughts?

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:01 am

KitaDad wrote:so as it turns out it runs but crappy. no fuel getting to the front right carb. any thoughts?

If no fuel is getting to that carb, I would suggest the float valve is stuck. Try tapping the carb with a screwdriver handle to see if it releases. If not, the carbs will need to come off again to clean/polish the float valve seat and check for free movement of the float.
These carbs need to be REALLY clean, not just clean.

Maz

KitaDad

Postby KitaDad » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:08 am

ok Maz im still baffled. I took the carbs out again. pulled the float and jet. shot carb clean through and watched it come out the fuel line. I moved the float manually and hung it up side down to make sure it wasn't stuck. put it all back together and still no fuel getting there pull the drain plug and nothing. the two left sides run right out of the drain the right back one drips and the right front one nothing! appreciate your responses so far. getting to be a pro at pulling this carb set up off.
Dave

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:05 pm

KitaDad wrote:ok Maz im still baffled. I took the carbs out again. pulled the float and jet. shot carb clean through and watched it come out the fuel line. I moved the float manually and hung it up side down to make sure it wasn't stuck. put it all back together and still no fuel getting there pull the drain plug and nothing. the two left sides run right out of the drain the right back one drips and the right front one nothing! appreciate your responses so far. getting to be a pro at pulling this carb set up off.
Dave

Ok Dave.
The ones that are draining and dripping either have faulty float valves or their float heights are set too low. The one that has no fuel getting through has either a blockage, which you seem to have dis-proved, or its float height is set too high. Also, any of the floats could be fouling on the floats bowl when installed.

Maz

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike

Postby terryt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Maz wrote:
KitaDad wrote:ok Maz im still baffled. I took the carbs out again. pulled the float and jet. shot carb clean through and watched it come out the fuel line. I moved the float manually and hung it up side down to make sure it wasn't stuck. put it all back together and still no fuel getting there pull the drain plug and nothing. the two left sides run right out of the drain the right back one drips and the right front one nothing! appreciate your responses so far. getting to be a pro at pulling this carb set up off.
Dave

Ok Dave.
The ones that are draining and dripping either have faulty float valves or their float heights are set too low. The one that has no fuel getting through has either a blockage, which you seem to have dis-proved, or its float height is set too high. Also, any of the floats could be fouling on the floats bowl when installed.

Maz

Did you fit the primary and secondary jet the right way?

KitaDad

Postby KitaDad » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:42 pm

ok Maz now what?
I pulled the carbs again today. found two of the jets were plugged up tight. freed up and put cleaner and air through there. did the same on the others just because it was out and apart. fired right up and ran like a champ. started down the road and seem to have a flat spot now. wants to bog. if I down shift and get the rpms up it get a little better. also seems that the idle is a little high.
Gaining on it with your help. its much appreciated.
Dave

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:14 am

KitaDad wrote:ok Maz now what?
I pulled the carbs again today. found two of the jets were plugged up tight. freed up and put cleaner and air through there. did the same on the others just because it was out and apart. fired right up and ran like a champ. started down the road and seem to have a flat spot now. wants to bog. if I down shift and get the rpms up it get a little better. also seems that the idle is a little high.
Gaining on it with your help. its much appreciated.
Dave

Dave, you know you said you're getting expert at taking the carbs off.....? A few things to check first, though;
Check the settings for the idle mixture screws - Not sure what that is for the 1200 but for my 1000 it's 1 3/8 turns out, as a starting point.
Check for air leaks around the manifolds/rubber joints - spray with starting fluid or the gas from an unlit butane torch while the engine is running. Listen for change in RPM's.
Synchronise the carbs using vacuum gauges.
Remove air filter and, with a mirror, look into each carb throat with engine running. Open the throttle and check that each slide rises and falls smoothly. This, I think, is most likely your problem. The throttle slides and pistons need to move totally smoothly. Now this is where I am a little unsure as I believe the 1200 carbs have rubber diaphragms instead of the metal ones in the 1000's/1100's. With the metal ones, a good polish of the piston sides and inside the carb tops will help but, with the 1200, maybe you have a perforated rubber diaphragm, but you should still be able to check the slides rising and falling with a mirror as you open/close the throttle...I think! Maybe one of the 1200 experts will be along to correct me if necessary.

Idle speed can be adjusted using the adjustment screw under the carbs.

Maz

KitaDad

Postby KitaDad » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:21 am

Spayed the carb boots and at the base where they go into the motor. No rise in rpm. Took for a ride today open the throttle up and rips until I get to about 4000 and just bogs right out. Also only got about 50 miles on half a tank. All fuel smell riding down the road like rich smell

KitaDad

Postby KitaDad » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:29 pm

update. took the carbs out again. found that the idle mixture screws were all the way in tight. pulled them out and put cleaner through and put them back and adjusted them 21/2 turns out. ran a whole lot better. but now when I go down the road in od I get an almost like a misfire feeling and there is a noise that sounds like a timing ping and a little bit of a clunk when it does it. if I throttle it up it stops until I ease up. ODD? Maz?
Dave

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Apologies Dave, I've been on Holiday (vacation).
Sounds like you have a bit of a misfire going on and the clunk is just play in the transmission as the power momentarily cuts in and out. As you can throttle through it, I would think you still have a slight carb mixture problem in the mid-range. If you haven't done so already, it would be worthwhile fitting a set of new spark plugs, correctly gapped, then doing a plug chop to check the mixture on each cylinder.
It would also be well worth syncing the carbs again.
Maz

KitaDad

Postby KitaDad » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks Maz. I took the carbs off again and went through them to see if missed anything. I reset the floats too while I was there and put new needles in. just haven't had to time to put it back together again. hopefully tomorrow. its supposed to rain so I wont work. thnks again for all your help

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”