Exhaust and Sound

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
sdoe1981
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Aspencade

Exhaust and Sound

Postby sdoe1981 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:48 pm

I recently picked up an '86 Aspencade. i know the Goldwing line generally prides itself on how quiet the ride is, but i was wondering if anyone has beefed up the Exhaust system to make it louder? I ride 60 miles one way to work in traffic and while the quiet ride is nice I'd like people to hear me coming so they don't jump in front of me without noticing me. Anyone know of any pipes out there that will make the bike a louder. I don't need to set off car alarms (although my wife would prefer that i do as she is concerned about safely) but I'd like folks to know I'm commin up on them.

viada

Re: Exhaust and Sound

Postby viada » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:59 am

With my 80' 1100 I removed the rear baffels on the stock exhaust and clamped on a set of chrome turndowns for a
2" car exhaust. Not too loud but better than stock.

Since i knew I was covering the old pipes from the muffler back I cheated and cut the last inch and a half off the tail pipes
to make getting the baffels much easier, but if you want to keep the stock look you can drill out the rivitt on the bottom of
the pipe end that retains the baffels, but on an older bike they can be very hard to get out.

I have had no running problems with the slightly reduced back pressure and have been told by the locak Gold Wing shop
that thy do this mod on a regular basis for customers.

You can check out pics of the bike in members pics under T.Js pics.

The 2" turndowns create a bit of a echo chamber and give the bike a deeper tone. I used long enough extentions
to run from the taper on the back of the muffler out to the rear of the saddlebags and the result looks like it came out
of the factory that way.

sdoe1981
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Aspencade

Postby sdoe1981 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:05 am

Thanks Viada. That sounds good. I know exactly how it will sounds actually. When i was looking for a wing to buy i found a guy that had done that and it sounded good.

Where did you get the 2" turn downs?

viada

Postby viada » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:58 am

The turndowns I have I picked up at a yard sale, but I have seen them at either auto zone or checker auto parts, not sure wich one it was.
Option #2 is J.C. Whitney but personaly I like to take the part out to the bike and check fit and see how it looks ( many of the shops will let you do that out here ) but online or out of a catalog can be a gamble.
The important thing is the chrome quality needs to be good since the temps are higher at the pipes than they may normaly be on a car.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”