Battery is over charging

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Dilis
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda GoldWing 1200 limited edition

Battery is over charging

Postby Dilis » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:58 am

I got an 85 GoldWing 1200 ltd edition it's charging 14.4 @ 3000 RPMS. Is that normal? I put three different regulators and they give me the same reading.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Re: Battery is over charging

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:18 am

14.4 V is a good charging rate. These bikes require a lot of juice to operate because of the FI system. These bikes are designed to use a lot of the power from the stator to operate the bike. That is why the red-white wire from the RR is spliced into the red wire from the starter solenoid to the ignition switch. This splice is about half way between the starter solenoid and the ignition switch in the wiring harness. When the bike is operating at 3000 RPM, the battery is actually a voltage sink for times when the charging rate drops.

I do not know why Honda spliced the wire in this spot because the red wire to the ignition switch and the red-white wire from the RR are joined at the starter solenoid.

The auto industry did this as well. There was a time when you could start your car and remove the battery to replace it, you could even drive the car without the battery in. This changed somewhere in the 70s/80s where the batteries got smaller and so did the alternators.

The other issue is consistency. Is the reading from the on board voltmeter verified with a multimeter? As long as the voltmeter reading is consistent every time you ride your bike, I would not worry about it. If a change occurs, that is the time to investigate. My on board voltmeter reads .6 V less than actual consistently. When the fan comes on there is a .2 V drop.

My theories not backed up by design data, but works for me.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:25 pm

I'm with Red - 14.4V@3000 RPM is generally considered a healthy charging rate, not an overcharging one. Now 15.5V, that would be verging into overcharge, IMHO.

There's a way to check (if you have a normal, lead-acid battery) - take note of the electrolyte level, to ensure it's not boiling off (which is a clear indicator of over-charging). Top it off with distilled water, carefully (so you know its level accurately), ride it for a while, and check it again. If the level hasn't gone down, you're probably right where you want to be. Another test is, with the engine fully warmed up (so the charging is stable), carefully take one of the battery caps off (wear safety goggles!!!!!), and observe the electrolyte with the engine at 3000 RPM. If it's not boiling away, you're not overcharging.

Hope that helps!

Dilis

Postby Dilis » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:23 pm

@ rednacs60 thank you for the information you have been a real big help.

Dilis

Postby Dilis » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:24 pm

@ mh434 thanks I will check on the boiling and get back to you have a great evening

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”