dash lights disappear at idle.... then bike wont start again

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
lites59
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade GL1200

dash lights disappear at idle.... then bike wont start again

Postby lites59 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi everybody,

First post here...So I started my bike yesterday and warmed it up for 2 minutes in preparation for a nice ride... noticed that the dashboard went blank at idle, but came back on when I revved the engine. Then I shut the bike off and no power to it whatsoever... would not turn over.... wiggled some wires around the battery and dashboard came back.... my initial thought is that it is the starter solenoid, but if that was intermittently working, would that cause a complete power outage?

thanks,

Dave

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: dash lights disappear at idle.... then bike wont start again

Postby CrystalPistol » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:16 pm

You are likely close ...... check that dog bone fuse under the cover on the top of the solenoid. Could be a crack across middle. Mine was running great one day and I pulled over at overlook and shut off and when I went to restart, nothing. To start it, the bike needs that fuse ..... but once started it will run without. Fuse is secured between two screws on plastic housing which has a different expansion rate with temp changes .... I THINK that's why they develop a crack across center that often will let you start a cold bike, but not a hot one after ends are pulled apart by expanded plastic. Others have their ideas .... but after that no start on the Blue Ridge Parkway that day, I wired a 30 amp AGC fuse holder with ring terminals in place of the dog bone fuse. Soldered where wire ends crimp in ring terminals and fuse contacts inside holder .... good 15 years or longer ago, no reoccurrence.

lites59

Postby lites59 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:21 pm

Hi and thanks for the quick reply! I will check that out... But would that explain the loss of the led lighting on the dashboard at idle but it comes back at higher revs? Definitely looks weird! My logical mind says that at higher revs there is enough juice being created to feed the dashboard but no juice at idle....?

CrystalPistol

Postby CrystalPistol » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:27 pm

lites59 wrote:Hi and thanks for the quick reply! I will check that out... But would that explain the loss of the led lighting on the dashboard at idle but it comes back at higher revs? Definitely looks weird! My logical mind says that at higher revs there is enough juice being created to feed the dashboard but no juice at idle....?

Vibrations, poor connections .... you may have some other issues like maybe you have a bad regulator / rectifier as well? Might be a good idea to check for voltage at idle at the battery and other places like accy terminals (expect some drop) and watch what hap[pens as you increase rpms.

lites59

Postby lites59 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi again, and thanks for the reply. As usual, starting at the beginning is the best way to troubleshoot... I did indeed find that fuse had a crack right in the middle of it.... see pic...

cracked solenoid fuse
cracked solenoid fuse

I will be replacing this tomorrow and hopefully problem solved!

Ride safe,

Dave

CrystalPistol

Postby CrystalPistol » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:20 pm

That be it!

You can replace it with same.

You can take a 30 amp rated fuse holder with two pigtails, put ring terminals on it and hook across those screws. Notch the cover for wire.

Some use bayonet styles .... I used a fuse holder with spring loaded contacts with 10 or 12 ga wires ..... added the ring terminals and soldered those crimps plus soldered the wires where crimped in small contacts within the holder .... slipped in a 30 amp glass body fuse ..... a touch of dielectric compound ... all is well.

lites59

Postby lites59 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:10 am

Did exactly as recommended... put in an in-line 30A fuse, wired directly through the fuse cover and bike fired right up... I let it heat up and previous symptoms non-existent. It was an easy fix.... would you happen to know if there are any other dog bone fuses in the system? I checked the wiring schematic but that was the only one that I could find... if there are others I would like to replace them with this fix also...

Note: I discovered a spare dog bone fuse stored inside the fuse cover... it also disintegrated as I tried to remove it so it must have been as old as the first one....thanks again, greatly appreciated!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:40 pm

lites59 wrote:Did exactly as recommended... put in an in-line 30A fuse, wired directly through the fuse cover and bike fired right up... I let it heat up and previous symptoms non-existent. It was an easy fix.... would you happen to know if there are any other dog bone fuses in the system? I checked the wiring schematic but that was the only one that I could find... if there are others I would like to replace them with this fix also...

Note: I discovered a spare dog bone fuse stored inside the fuse cover... it also disintegrated as I tried to remove it so it must have been as old as the first one....thanks again, greatly appreciated!

That's the only fuse of its kind in the bike.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”