Neutral Light Problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
BanditJake
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Aspencade GL1200

Neutral Light Problem

Postby BanditJake » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:54 pm

Good Afternoon

I have been working on my 84 Honda Aspencade and I have problem with Neutral light intermittent light most times can't get light. Play with the gear selector and you may get it.

Where is the neutral switch I've searched the Internet for images where on the bike can't find anything?

Thank you,
George

BanditJake

Re: Neutral Light Problem(NOT Solved)

Postby BanditJake » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Okay I am thinking the switch is in the oil swimming in there.

On top there are two relays one links to the other and linked to the lighting system at the back of the bike getting voltage from the fuse box terminal. Relay clicks on when ignition is turned on. Now with it disconnected I can see neutral light up somewhat but if I put that wire back on light goes out.

Previous owner upgraded the system with extra light bars on back with two toggles one for one set of lights the other for other set.
To compensate the extra load he added a big car battery in left luggage linked with the on-board battery and some sort of capacitor system that mounts on out side of luggage.

I have removed battery one because I had to take luggage out plus reduce the weight and better balance while I had to get it on center stand.

Okay I think I resolved it.

I went to those relays to start trace where they go well off one relay goes to the side stand works correctly went back to relays and thought what has been added well that red wire to the positive terminal coupled with the relay positive wire where relay gets it's voltage so traced red wire to the light switch and there are three switches I thought two but because the end was busted off didn't see it so I took the wire off the switch went back see yellow wire I disconnected it from relay. Turned back on moved up from one good solid neutral light. Tried it few times and hit each time.

Conclusion this fellow decided I suspect add one relay coupled off the other relay to run lights. I don't know why he didn't figure his mistake first time he tried putting it into neutral.

Now I think I'll go take the one relay off but first look in the Clymer Hond GL 1200 manual diagrams to see what relay should be there.

Also I want to add for those that have no working clock Well I think I will start another thread for that.
Last edited by BanditJake on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BanditJake

Re: Neutral Light Problem

Postby BanditJake » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:44 pm

Ok not solved. I went out started bike put it in gear went back to neutral and now won't light yet once I had disconnected the relays from the light switch I tried it twice without it running down and up into second back to neutral and worked each time what's changed.

Every time I start it fumigate the garage two fans blowing out. I got it warmed up shifted first let clutch out back wheel spin shift to second without clutch as I can time the shift with rpm third back down first then up one for neutral and light no,..? I even hooked wires back up like it was.

I was going to eliminate relays only reason I haven't is because the side stand is hooked to it and the relay is getting voltage from a wire that was cut to harness on right side of faring has rubber style cover see picture IF you can make picture big enough I marked the wires in Windows Paint I also labeled the one that goes to kick stand the picture with the two arrows on relay wires are the ones that come from the harness on firewall that is the power.
Attachments

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Postby twocams » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:43 pm

George you are just having a little too much fun. Sometimes if you just follow the wire diagram in the book you get lucky and things work right. :shock:
Your welcome, no charge :D

twocams

BanditJake

Postby BanditJake » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:56 pm

I went out started it and was able to find the neutral doing it by hand. I am starting to suspect the switch.

I did find this http://www.gl1000.info/NeutralLight.shtml

Just not sure where to find this neutral wire.

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Postby twocams » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:38 pm

OK the shift sensor seems to be what you are looking for. It has all the wires hooked to it from N-1,2,3,4,OD The Neutral wire is LG/R ( light green/red). They also talk about a black 9 pin connector behind the instrument cluster and connected to it. Check the connections and for corrosion. Not sure where the sensor is? Ill look some. Those GL1000/1100 are to old the 1200 were a total rewire and design.

twocams

wiretician
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1993 GL1500SE

Postby wiretician » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Was in midst of timing belt change, choke cable replace, had to remove radiator to get to them, so while there figured I'd try to get shift sensor working again. After tracing through all the wiring, checking connections and neutral diode (manual calls it "rectifier"). Tried the power with light bulb fix, no go. Tried using a megger to possibly burn off built up carbon and/or corrosion, was reading a resistance through the oil, indicating lack of contact. So, recent experience, found it inside the front cover (behind the oil filter), it is in the oil bath. Mine (on an Interstate, only three wires) wouldn't light the neutral light or allow the starter solenoid to fire. After much reading and procrastination, removed the switch and disassembled, found that the neutral position pad had broke off, other two were still in tact. Went on Ebay and located some copper rivets, 1.3mm x 1/2" long shaft x 3.6mm head. They were less than $10 for a 100. Unsoldered broken rivet and installed new, testing showed switch working normally. Hope this helps.

Experience in the Maintenance Field: Nothing is "Foolproof" to the Talented Fool. There are some that would break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”