starter issue now

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

starter issue now

Postby walker70 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:41 pm

I just bought this starter back in April and I went to start the bike this afternoon and nothing but clicking at the relay so changed that out,still nothing so next had the battery tested and it is reading 12 volts and good,hopefully the starter will still be under warranty if it is bad,also have bumped it with a rubber hammer,again nothing,ideas. :(

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Re: starter issue now

Postby Rusty Bike » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:57 pm

Check the negative lead for a good ground at the frame.

walker70

Postby walker70 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi,thanks for the tip,I just got back from having the starter tested and it is good,I think that it will wind up being something simple like a bad ground or the like.

walker70

Postby walker70 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:00 am

Hi,checked all ground cables and battery cables and they all look good now I have cleaned them up but still not much different except now if I tap on the starter it will try to turn but very slowly so I wonder if the battery still could be bad even tho it tested as good,one thing I noticed is that the battery that I have had to be filled with the fluid it came with and according to the company that makes it says to never open it after filling it but I went ahead and popped the fill cover and the battery is dry,that doesn't look right,but like I said O'reilly Auto parts say it tested good,now I wonder??? :D

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:29 am

When you had the battery tested was it a load test that simulates an item such as a starter? You can also hook up battery cables to jump start the bike. Have you checked with a multimeter that when you hit the starter button, there is 12 volts at the starter - will prove the starter solenoid is working.

Another consideration when having the battery tested is that even though the load test may be good, trying to turn over a 1200 engine as well puts additional load on the battery.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Postby twocams » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:00 am

I bought a AGM battery from O'reilly for my MX5 Mazda. They said it was fully charged and ready to go. But only lasted a year cause its a car I seldom drive. (I have 5 others and 3 motorcycles). They gave me a new one free. This time when I asked if it was fully charged, they said yes.
I took it home and charged some more, it was only half charged. :o My point being any time you buy a battery make sure it's fully charged before trying to start something. They will last alot longer. A lot of the people that work at O'reilly are part time help, and other stores as well im sure. That way they don't have to pay insurance/top dollar for those employees. Yes, I worked there for 1.5 yrs as a parts driver.
When I quit I told the manager I need 3-4 months off for the summer. He said "no I can't do that". I said, "well this is my 2 month notice" I let you know when I have 2 weeks left. i still buy from them, there good people.

twocams

walker70

Postby walker70 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:33 pm

I have thought about that very fact,it might be weak enough to not be able to turn the motor over but run everything else,o'reilly is a good place for simple testing or at least the one near me is but they sometimes don't know much about bikes,I plan on taking both starter and battery to a shop that I know has better equipment for testing,I think when I find what's going on it will be a simple thing especially since it ran yesterday morning but would do nothing that afternoon and I had not touched anything. :?

walker70

Postby walker70 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Hi,just got back from G+M starter and alternator in Dothan Alabama,these guys are good,put my starter on their test equipment and it was shot but the battery was good,so now I'm waiting for the company I bought this starter from to get back with me about how long the warranty was for it,fingers crossed that is for at least at year then they should give me a replacement for no charge,in the meantime I will still be checking for anything that may be causing it to go bad so quickly,loose wires etc, by the way in case it is out of warranty I wondering how much trouble these starters are to rebuild because that may be the way I want to go next time :)

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:59 pm

Sorry to hear about the starter. I had a similar issue where the bike would not start, had it towed home, and checked the circuit. A few taps with a hammer and it growled but did not turn, also checked the starter circuit and it was fine. Got it fixed under warranty and what happened was when it was assembled at the factory, one of the brush wires was routed incorrectly that caused the brush to bind and not make contact with the armature. Simple fix but annoying just the same considering it had only been installed for 6 months.

Getting back to your question, peruse the forum and you will find a lot of info on rebuilding starters. When the new starter went, had the old original checked and it was fine so it went back in. When/if it fails intend to do a rebuild myself. Always good to have a spare kicking around.

Cheers

Ernest

walker70

Postby walker70 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:21 am

I have the original starter from when I got the bike at the first of the year, it was on it's last legs which is why I bought a new one so I may rebuild both,but it does kinda make me wish for kickstarters again. :D

walker70

Postby walker70 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi,good news about my starter,the company I got it from has replacement warranties so it was covered,I did have pay shipping for sending the old one back but still glad that all I had to pay was a little shipping. :lol:

walker70

Postby walker70 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:44 am

Not sure if this starter or electrical or what,got the bike out and drove it for the first time since doing some fixing on it,first thing that happened was it didn't want to go at first then it seemed to get better,but it backfired loudly a few times and shut off,got it going again and nursed it home,noticed #1 cylinder had fouled the plug,so today I changed that out and this is where it gets confusing,after doing that it acted like the engine had too much compression and would not turn over,had to take out a couple of spark plugs before it would turn the engine over,it ran fine after that so I left it alone for a few hours then went out to start it and had to do the same thing,take plugs out to get the engine to turn over then started fine again,any ideas as to why it suddenly would start doing this,not sure what could be making it act like this,possible timing issue after it backfired last night,I am kinda stumped on this one. :o

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:52 am

Had several issues on my '85 LTD that occurred when I would do work. I would put the bike back together and a problem would arise, unrelated to the work I had done. I would second guess myself a bit and think that the work I had done had caused the issue. Each time the work I had done was not the issue.

In your case with the starter, I would hazard a guess that the starter is not the issue. If the bike was operating well until the "backfire", replacing the starter would not cause your issue.

Check the bike timing, timing belts to make sure these have not jumped a tooth (not probable, but never know).

It's easy to chase a "red herring" so to speak.

Good luck. Cheers

Ernest

walker70

Postby walker70 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi,since I posted about this last night I have talked to a mechanic with a bike shop near where I live,he knows a lot about these bikes and he pointed out the problem in real quick order,since I got my bike back to running I thought I had my fuel problems all fixed,but he asked me if when I pulled a spark plug out did it shoot some fuel out of the cylinder,when I said yes and he told me it was not able to turn the engine over because of it vapor locking and building up pressure,so he said to take the carbs off and recheck the float levels because it was letting too much fuel in and that should clear the problem up,sounds like a plan to me,I know today it hasn't acted up much but I still have a idle problem. :D

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:54 am

walker70 wrote:Not sure if this starter or electrical or what,got the bike out and drove it for the first time since doing some fixing on it,first thing that happened was it didn't want to go at first then it seemed to get better,but it backfired loudly a few times and shut off,got it going again and nursed it home,noticed #1 cylinder had fouled the plug,so today I changed that out and this is where it gets confusing,after doing that it acted like the engine had too much compression and would not turn over,had to take out a couple of spark plugs before it would turn the engine over,it ran fine after that so I left it alone for a few hours then went out to start it and had to do the same thing,take plugs out to get the engine to turn over then started fine again,any ideas as to why it suddenly would start doing this,not sure what could be making it act like this,possible timing issue after it backfired last night,I am kinda stumped on this one. :o

I think, if you had mentioned the fuel being ejected from the spark plug hole originally, a few people would have chimed in to suggest that your float valves were sticking/maladjusted. Liquid (gas) in the cylinder causes HYDROlocking, as it can't be compressed. Check it urgently as, ultimately, something has to 'give' and it's quite possible that would be a rod bending or snapping.

Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

walker70

Postby walker70 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:39 am

Hi,already found that one of the floats was maladjusted so have them off now to readjust them,glad I caught it before anything got bent in the engine.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”