86 SEi drive shaft install

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

86 SEi drive shaft install

Postby roadwanderer2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:34 am

ok, so here i am trying to put the drive shaft back into the swing arm tube so it mates into the "U" joint at the front end. my question is this........i cant remember where i saw this thread, but i read somewhere in here that the spring thats on the front of the d/s can be removed when your putting the drive shaft back into the front yoke. is that what i can do here? im having some issues with it. i cant get the shaft into the front "U" joint and bolt up the final drive to the swing arm. the bolts just barely make it thru the back end to get the f/d nuts onto it.

stuart.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: 86 SEi drive shaft install

Postby CrystalPistol » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:10 am

I insert the drive shaft into the final drive and then cradle the final drive in my left hand as I sit cross legged on the floor beside the right side muffler. I reach around to the u-joint boot area with right hand, I've already peeled the boot off the rear of the engine. I reach back to feel the rear yoke of the U-joint with longest finger and while presenting the final & shaft I feel for contact. Often the yoke is flopped down so I slip the shaft end up the tube on low side hoping to pick up the end with splines ... rotating the U-joint with right had to line up splines.

I have also done it with drive shaft and U-joint both on the final drive and reached in to use finger of right hand to pick up and align the front splined yoke of U-joint with engine output shaft.

Bike in neutral always .... and I always leave the spring and collar on the drive shaft as that is what pushes the front U-joint all the way onto the engine output shaft and keeps the center cross in alignment with the swing arm pivots. That spring is needed.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Hey crystalpistol, i tried doing all that the same way you did and i still can't get the f/d and shaft all the way inside the "U" joint yoke. it seems as if the splines won't line up to push the inner drive shaft into the yoke of the "U" joint.

stuart.

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:45 pm

I tried CP's method but my stubby sausages could not reach the U joint. I put the shaft into the FD then got the spring,(which must be in there), started into the U joint. Next I slipped a pry bar into the shaft tube and levered the shaft up so it is parallel to the swing arm tube. The spring lifted the rear U joint half and everything was in alignment. Gave the FD a wiggle and push and she fell together. Worked surprisingly well. The pry bar looks like a long screwdriver with a bend in the end. Push down on the handle and the back of the bend is a fulcrum, tip lifts the driveshaft. No real pressure exerted with the pry bar, it merely lift everything into alignment. The split ring on the FD end of the shaft is the part that is not needed. That split ring was used as an aid to assembly by Honda and should be removed.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:18 pm

Rusty Bike wrote:I tried CP's method but my stubby sausages could not reach the U joint. I put the shaft into the FD then got the spring,(which must be in there), started into the U joint. Next I slipped a pry bar into the shaft tube and levered the shaft up so it is parallel to the swing arm tube. The spring lifted the rear U joint half and everything was in alignment. Gave the FD a wiggle and push and she fell together. Worked surprisingly well. The pry bar looks like a long screwdriver with a bend in the end. Push down on the handle and the back of the bend is a fulcrum, tip lifts the driveshaft. No real pressure exerted with the pry bar, it merely lift everything into alignment. The split ring on the FD end of the shaft is the part that is not needed. That split ring was used as an aid to assembly by Honda and should be removed.

split ring is already off. i'll try the pry bar method when i go to reinstall it again. right now i had to pull the motor back off to find out why the starter gear and chain are locked up tight. even when i used a flat screwdriver from the outside where the starter goes into the motor, the gear and chain are locked up. somethings not right so i had to pull the motor back off so i can figure out whats wrong which i am going to find out tomorrow. i'll post my findings as to what i find once i open the back of the motor up.......again.

stuart.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:34 pm

Something else that might help is to wrap the U-joint in a few layers of wide masking tape .... it'll tend to stiffen it up so the joint will stay straighter and make it easier to aim it up the tube at that output shaft spline. Masking tape will soon unwrap itself in use and will harm nothing as it's so fragile. Really.

I'd leave the split ring and washer on the drive shaft in front of the spring .... it'll hold the spring back some and let more shaft insert into the rear yoke of the U-joint.

I guess I just forgot to make mention of that tip awhile ago .... a tight U-joint will hold it's long end up towards the output shaft ..... an older looser one will droop no matter.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:39 pm

CrystalPistol wrote:Something else that might help is to wrap the U-joint in a few layers of wide masking tape .... it'll tend to stiffen it up so the joint will stay straighter and make it easier to aim it up the tube at that output shaft spline. Masking tape will soon unwrap itself in use and will harm nothing as it's so fragile. Really.

I'd leave the split ring and washer on the drive shaft in front of the spring .... it'll hold the spring back some and let more shaft insert into the rear yoke of the U-joint.

I guess I just forgot to make mention of that tip awhile ago .... a tight U-joint will hold it's long end up towards the output shaft ..... an older looser one will droop no matter.

well, once i get this motor situation fixed, i'll look into the U-joint. it might be time to replace it with a new one.

stuart.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”