GL1200 Radio display window cleanup procrdure.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

GL1200 Radio display window cleanup procrdure.

Postby Rusty Bike » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:19 pm

My radio channel display was foggy and unreadable as I'm sure most are. Here is my fix. Procure a new single edge razor blade. Measure the height of the window. Now cut a piece from the razor blade to the same dimension as the height of the window. To cut blade, score with a grinder and snap. Next mask off the dash surrounding the window for protection. Put sharp edge of blade against end of window and drag blade across window while applying fair pressure with fingers. You want to drag the blade with about a 10 degree angle, with sharp edge trailing. Each stroke will remove a white dusty power which is funky plastic. After several strokes you will notice the surface of the window getting clearer and more uniform in color. I did this stroking about 20 times. When satisfied that the most of the funky plastic is gone, I applied Meguiar's Plast-X clear plastic cleaner as directed on container. Lastly remove masking tape. My radio display is now just as visible as my voltmeter display. Looks great! Hope this helps...Rusty

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Re: GL1200 Radio display window cleanup procrdure.

Postby geraldm » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Yea I had the same problem., my chum a body shop owner gave me a tad of a 3M product for buffing up the lacquer coats after the paint job. He sent me home with a bit and told me to use a soft cloth and gently but firmly rum the clock face across not up and down for like 20 minutes. I did just what he said and after cleaning it off and drying it the face was pretty much like new. I also use it on my windshield to take all the little scratches out from cleaning or what ever. It really works.

DoorCountyWI
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Postby DoorCountyWI » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:09 pm

I have the same problem on my radio screen. Thanks for the idea!

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:41 pm

A dab of Plast-X or other polish applied with clean cloth occasionally will keep it clear .... all I've ever used and looks great.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”