Lets talk LED driving lights

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Lets talk LED driving lights

Postby Rusty Bike » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:00 am

My headlights SUCK! I have decided to upgrade the stock lamp with a Sylvania 9003 SilverStar Ultra H4 which is a standard high quality replacement. No muss, no fuss, and the stock reflector will work well with this lamp.

I wish to augment this with a set of good LED driving lights that can be placed on the crash bars. I would like 2 of these, one being a spot and one being a flood. Matching cosmetics would be nice. I have done a web search but don't find a great selection. There is some stuff that is way overpriced in my opinion. So what options do you folks advise. Thanks...Rusty

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Re: Lets talk LED driving lights

Postby geraldm » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:24 pm

to start cheap LED lights 100- 150 dollars will stop your radio reception ,, something to do with feedback ,, ,, that said apparently there is some kind of resistor that can be added to stop this problem .. I do a lot of night riding when possible and have found that the stock light although reasonably bright just does not make me comfortable so I bought a 95 watt spot -flood combo and mounted it with home made bracket just under stock light so they can both be used at the same time or I have a switch to turn the spot- flood combo on or off as vehicles approach ((( these lights are VERY bright and demand your respect for other drivers as I have been flashed from a long distance off to dim my lights ))) the 95 watt fish eye spot -flood has 6 floods on each side of light with 6 spots in the center .. A good combo for where I ride . (( a fair amount of trees and tall grass 0) and many deer .. I found the 60 deg flood and 30 deg. spot to light the road ahead real well but found I still had a blind spot in the ditches so I bought a set of 3 inch 30 deg spots with 6 fish eye lenses for each side to mount on crash bar pointing at the ditches and found they do a great job. The power draw on these lights is minimal and you will find or should find no power issues .. the 95 watt buy the way is the output of the light not the draw the actual draw is just a couple amps or so .. You will find if you mount a bright big light down low on the crash bars they will light the road in front very well but will not have a good penetration ,, all it does is make the road bright in front of you and that is not good [img]
2016-09-24%20001.jpg
[/img]
the way I have things it pretty much lights up the sky but do have respect for others because they can be blinding ... I would suggest what ever you do for good results also don't have one light flood and the other spot search around on Amazon maybe and you will many different combinations of wattage and sizes . I chose the 9 inch fish eye combo ,, which was a hard find mainly because it was the right size to not stick past the fairing and the fish eye lenses because they are 5 watt each instead of the usual 3 watt ,, my 2 small bottom ones on the crash bar are 18 watt each and if i had it to do again I would choose the 36 watt ones simply because they are brighter and PENETRATE further .. Example if you had 4- 50 watt lights they would have a nicely lit area but if you added 4 more they would not penetrate the dark any further ahead than the first 4 were , now if you added 4 more 80 watt lights they are brighter because they give off more lumens and they penetrate the dark much further because of the greater intensity of the 80 watt lite . Don't cheat yourself ,, if you look around with patience which I did start to run very short of you will find some very nice lites at a reasonable price that will serve you well Good luck .. hope I haven't confused you
Attachments

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:02 pm

Come on folks, I need enlightened here...............................

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:37 am

Here's what I did, works well and no radio interference.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35084

Here's the ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/H4-COB-LED-Headl ... OO&vxp=mtr

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”