throttle cables

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
bernyboy
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard

throttle cables

Postby bernyboy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:41 am

I ride a 1984 gl1200 Standard (no fairing). The other day I noticed slack in the bottom end of the push throttle cable. Checking it further, I found it was broken at the top end. So, I want to replace both cables. I am having a hard time finding a set for my bike. Are the cable sets interchangeable between all gl1200s? I see sets for Interstates and Aspencades are the same. They appear to have an inflexible metal- clad section in the sheath that I don't think would work for my bike. Can anyone direct me to cables that will definitely work for my bike?
My push cable my have been broken for a while. I only noticed it because I was adjusting the pull cable. Is it considered unsafe to ride with the push cable broken? Obviously, if the pull cable breaks you are stuck roadside, but you would be anyway. It seems to me that the push cable is a redundancy for the spring that snaps the throttle shut when you release the grip. Any thoughts?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: throttle cables

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:37 pm

bernyboy wrote:I ride a 1984 gl1200 Standard (no fairing). The other day I noticed slack in the bottom end of the push throttle cable. Checking it further, I found it was broken at the top end. So, I want to replace both cables. I am having a hard time finding a set for my bike. Are the cable sets interchangeable between all gl1200s? I see sets for Interstates and Aspencades are the same. They appear to have an inflexible metal- clad section in the sheath that I don't think would work for my bike. Can anyone direct me to cables that will definitely work for my bike?
My push cable my have been broken for a while. I only noticed it because I was adjusting the pull cable. Is it considered unsafe to ride with the push cable broken? Obviously, if the pull cable breaks you are stuck roadside, but you would be anyway. It seems to me that the push cable is a redundancy for the spring that snaps the throttle shut when you release the grip. Any thoughts?

Motion Pro makes cables for your bike, and they are available from many retailers at reasonable price:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/sea ... 0/0/0/0/0/

And yes, the push cable is there for safety. Should the return spring break on the throttle body, or the pull cable frayed and jammed inside its jacket, the only way you would have of closing the throttle is that push cable.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”