Melted fusebox/wire connectors and blown fuse, stranded in portland

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
JerseyBeck84
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard
&
1969 CL450K Scrambler
&
2003 VT750 Ace

Melted fusebox/wire connectors and blown fuse, stranded in portland

Postby JerseyBeck84 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:48 pm

Hey there
So far this forum has been super helpful- Ive got an electrical issue Im hoping someone can help me with. I just bought this 1984 GL1200 Standard last month and have put 2500 miles on it, so far been wonderful just ran into something this week. I apologize for my lack of knowledge, Ive ordered a shop manual but hasnt arrived yet.

Here's the series of events:
After riding 1000 miles, bike sat for a few days and battery went bad. Replaced battery with standard battery nothing fancy. Noticed that some wire connectors on the left hand side of the battery seemed to be melting together: nothing too serious at this point, so separated them further, I wrapped them with some electrical tape and left it at that. At this point I noticed the right hand turn signal and brake light (engaged) weren't functioning. Not a big deal to me, so I continued my trip.
Rode another 1000 miles, only once had an issue where the bike was totally nonresponsive with the key to ignition. I sat for a second, tried again, and it was fine. Around this point, the bike got knocked over by some jerk while I was sleeping. Picked it up, waited a half day to run it, ran it and seemed fine.
Rode it 15 miles to a friends house, repeated the issue of being nonresponsive with the key to ignition. Sat again, waited, tried again and fired up.
Today, woke up, went to start bike and totally nonresponsive. I check the main fuse: blown especially on the left side (nearly melted). I notice the screws holding the fuse in place have melted through the plastic fuse box, leaving some plastic residue on the screws. I clean it up, replace the fuse, bike starts fine. So the bike is starting and running fine however the connectors to the left hand side of the battery seem like they are frequently overheating, causing the electrical tape I previously applied to melt. With the fuse seeming to overheat and the connectors to the left hand side of the battery overheating Im wondering if this could be a regulator/rectifier issue?

I plan to and need help with:
1-Replace the dog bone fuse with a blade fuse as previously mentioned in these forums
2-Identify the source of the melted connectors and replace the connectors (ideally close to the connection point)
3-Identify the cause of the brakelight and right hand turn signal malfunction (I dont know where these fuses are, or relays, could someone show me where they are?)

I have images of all of the above, currently trying to figure out how to post them.

Thanks in advance for all your help
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Melted fusebox/wire connectors and blown fuse, stranded in portland

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:40 pm

You have a serious short somewhere in your bike.

I would start by removing all the fuses, and bringing on one circuit at a time to test.

Before you go replacing the dogbone fuse with a blade fuse, instead connect a small, 10-watt 12-volt light in place of the dogbone fuse. That way, when you switch the bike on, instead of drawing a tremendous amount of current into the short (and possibly melting something else), it will just light up the light, which will limit the current flowing to less than an amp. Once you have found the cause of the short, the light should go out, indicating the current is no longer being shunted to ground.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:29 am

Wow ... that looks serious !! and awful !

Firstly I'd go get a small fire extinguisher before proceeding ..
LOL

All the over-heated wires should really be cut out and soldered ... wire insulation thats that hot will have cracks develop

+1 on WA's suggestion with the visible fuse ... firstly find the short ... Most important !

The dogbone is probably not causing the problem ... but do replace it after finding the massive short .

Then go get a package of shrink wraps, and several packages of coloured wire and cut out and replace ( Hard solder/ shrink wrap ) each and every damaged section ... might take several Saturday mornings .

( I live next door to a professional electrician ... so If I ask him for 3 feet of green , blue , and yellow wire ... no problem ! )

Most of the long lasting GL1200 repairs of my friends ( and me ) have involved hard soldering all the yellow stator wires ( both ends )
and all the reg/rect connections.

In my case , I had to add about 6 inches of wire in several places to safetly take care of the "rotten " sections .

Good Luck !! Keep us posted ... especially about the cause of the short .

SilverDave

JerseyBeck84
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard
&
1969 CL450K Scrambler
&
2003 VT750 Ace

Postby JerseyBeck84 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:04 pm

Hey all- So I've got a limited amount of tools available to me here (my garage in california is full of electrical stuff, ive had old hondas before!)... So my plan is to try to identify the short and do the best temporary fix I can to make it home. I'll let you know what I find, and Ill post any further questions I might have in the process.

thx
Otto

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Postby twocams » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:19 pm

Beck 84, if you make it to Grants Pass and want to stop for a while I have most, lots tools. Just off I-5...3 mil? I have a shop to just ride inside. Take my cell # 541-359-6530. We are about 246 mi. from Portland. South. Bring your checkbook and ride a 85 Aspencade home :P

twocams

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:44 am

Those wires look like the Stator wires. Three Yellow wires going through a white connector. The GL1200 is notorious for melting the stator wire connector. Just about every GL1200 owner I know has cut out that connector and soldered those wires together.

The connector just cannot withstand the current that goes through it as the connector ages. The contacts get slightly oxidized and they over heat thus causing the burnt connector and insulation on the wires. The increased current that generated through the corroded connector causes things to heat up and eventually blow the main fuse.

Looks to me that if you cut out that connector, solder and insulate the connections, remove the fuse and clean the fuse connections and then install a new fuse you should be good to go.

Since you said that you were in Portland, and I hope you still are, visit or call John at Cycle Specialties. They are near the Portland Airport. 5701-D NE 105th Ave., Portland, OR. 97220 503-445-4411. A few years ago, they had a shop called Wingman. They sold all the accessories you could imagine related to Goldwings. It was located in the same building. It has since gone away. But John Cole, who was the brother of the Wingman shop owner, opened this motorcycle repair shop called Cycle Specialties http://www.cycle-specialties.com. I am 100% sure he can help you.

Let me know how it turns out.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:29 pm

So, did you get it fixed? Sure would be nice to know.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:17 am

My '85s stator wires were already soldered and wrapped by the PO when I bought it in 1995, stator went out on a ride one day late '90s which I saw reflected in the new V-meter I had installed. Took longer to come up after a stop light, etc. Get home .... run tests ..... one leg was "bad" but two were OK .... so mine just went part way south which is why it would still charge some at speed.

I installed a new Honda Life Warranted stator myself then in a week of afternoons after work and found that the PO had soldered burnt wiring when I opened his splices (or so it looked like) .... and so used a new plug kit (#31105-ML8-305) from Honda to connect it ..... but first I disassembled the plug on both sides to solder the yellow wires where they crimp into the terminals of the plug. The terminals are pretty heavy brass plated steel.

At the same time .... I inspected the connector where the three yellow wires go up to the regulator rectifier inside the top compartment ... mine showed small signs of heat for those three wires. I clipped the wires from both sides and found that while the three yellow wires were copper inside, the three wires from the reg/rec were silver, like steel. Because of heat, I decided to replace the upper portion of those three yellow wires that came from the stator plug with new yellow wire and I went a gage heavier as well.

So I made some "crimp tubes" from small brass tubing, slipped it over one wire, wrapped the wire ends together as in a splice, added a bit of rosin core solder, slipped the tube in place, and crimped lightly to secure yet not break wires, and reheated with gun and added more solder. Insulated with a piece of split high temp wire wrap stripped off larger wire a nd layers of Super 33 Electrical tape. I maybe even used some shrink tube but won't swear to it. In any case, they are sealed and secure forever and if ever I need to R&R the reg/rec ..... I'll splice the same three wires.

I reassembled and packed the stator plug with dielectric grease and plugged up and I check it at service time by unwrapping the tape I keep on all of it in between. So far looks OK.

If you look at it's location, that stator plug is immediately below the battery vent tube which vents corrosive gases and which sometimes doesn't get put back in place or has a loose fit at the battery. Just a thought .... though not an issue with my new Odyssey AGM battery.

In all this I also found that Honda had a updated revised plug that hooks to that starter solenoid as well. OEM the current to run the bike goes through the connector twice. The revised connector kept that path .... but added another one within the plug so current had two paths, one without going through that plug twice. My connector was good, I simply added the jumper wire as indicated.

I had already swapped the dog bone fuse out for a AGC 30 amp fuse holder and fuse which I had also taken the step of soldering the crimps where the wires are crimped at my ring terminals and inside the holder where they crimp to "fuse button contacts".

No problems since ..... "knock on wood".
Attachments

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Postby sportsfreaked » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:40 pm

Glad to hear it's taken care of. This is something it looks like I will have to do with my 85LTD. I have the dog bone fuse there the stator wires have already been done. I am charging at 14.0 v at 2500 and no problems yet but reading about the dog bone fuse issue concerns me. Great riding weather!

Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”