Radiator removal

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Trikerjim
Motorcycle: 1987 (D) gold coloured GL1200 interstate

Radiator removal

Postby Trikerjim » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:42 am

Hi all again, starter motor renewed, all wiring sorted, now to change the belts. Looks simple enough with the how to on this site, but, this flipping radiator. It is all undone, dangling by the rad cap, wedged in the frame. I just cannot get my man hands in to remove the cap. I can tie the rad forward on to the front mudguard, so I have acess to the belts and tensioner, so my question is, can I re fill the cooling system thru the expansion bottle, or do I really need to fill the rad first, then the bottle. Thanks again. Jim

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Radiator removal

Postby SilverDave » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Hmmm... perhaps find a friend with smaller hands ???

A Tying it up is really not good enough .
You really, really want to get the cap off, totally remove the rad , possibly replace the top and bottom hoses ( NAPA ? ),
clean , and maybe repaint the rad ( matte black ).and check both the thermostat, and fan thermal switch, and the wiring in there .

B. When refilling , you need to fill, to the very top , run it for 10 min , burp the rad hose, refill to top, re-run and re heat , etc , until level does not change. This system does not have enough suction to refill thru the overflow tank, sadly.

So keep your tiny handed friend on call, and buy them a beer when finished .

LOL

SilverDave

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:42 am

...... and I just checked my Clymer manual ... you must remove the rad cap BEFORE removing the actual rad ...
hmmmm.
Clearance must be really tight for the rad

SilverDave

( Did you find a tiny handed friend , yet ? )

Trikerjim
Motorcycle: 1987 (D) gold coloured GL1200 interstate

Postby Trikerjim » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:55 am

I managed to get everything out the way enabling me to get some long handled pipe grips in to remove the cap. But it was tight, and difficult to get back on too. Anyway all done. Belts done and all re built. Front calipers to free off now and ready for mot test. Not bad, 1987 1200, bought as a non starter for £1000. Gold in colour. New belts, new starter motor and hours of polishing. Back on the road again

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”