Flat tire, rear of cores!

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Flat tire, rear of cores!

Postby Rusty Bike » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:03 pm

Slow leak in new Michelin :cry: Right in the middle where the rubber is thickest. There is only 1200 miles on this tire. The hole is pretty small. So, what's the best fix? I'm real tempted to go with tire Slime. What would the Honda shop do? I'm not a fan of plug patches. Thanks...Rusty

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Re: Flat tire, rear of cores!

Postby twocams » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:14 pm

I have used plugs with good success. I wouldnt use slime. You want something plugging the hole. I hear that slime is a bitch to clean up after changing the tire for a new. Most shops wont pug a bike tire just for the liability involved. You can do it yourself. If an older tire I wouldn't but a fairly new one I would.
Just my .02

twocams

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:26 pm

I have also had good experiences with a plug. Just make sure you buy a "good" kit, ie from an auto parts store, not WM...

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

wiretician
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1993 GL1500SE

Postby wiretician » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:33 pm

I've used plugs with great success. Highly recommend Stop-n-Go plugs. The basic kit has everything necessary and in a nice pouch. The plugs are thick and strong, no messy glues involved. It is mushroom shaped and the tool puts the mushroom head in first and expand inside the tire. I picked up a screw (in the rear tire) just a few hundred miles after getting a new set. Plugged it and ran it till it was time to change it again. Was very pleased with them.
Experience in the Maintenance Field: Nothing is "Foolproof" to the Talented Fool. There are some that would break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:03 pm

New tire, potentially long miles, some far from home .... so it's worth dismounting and fixing with a "patch plug".

Remove whatever punctured tire ....
ream hole with small round barbed tire reamer tool ....
scuff the tire inside with some course sand paper ....
spread a thin layer of tire cement ....
let dry to touch ....
unwrap patch plug ....
I spread a dab of tire cement on it for lubricant ....
stick metal tip through hole from inside and grab on outside with pliars and pull until patch plug is seated ....
I like to work patch all over with roller ....
you can even apply a little heat with heat gun if you like (not needed .... read can) ....
trim excess flush with tread ....
remount tire ....
ride safe.

They come in a variety of sizes.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:25 am

If the leak is right in the center of the tread I would consider Ride-on tire sealer and balancer. Slime I wouldn't use. http://www.ride-on.com/
I haven't used this product but I have heard good things about it. Also if you have balance beads in the tire this won't work.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:34 am

Was me, I would take the tire off and have a vulcanized patch put on from the inside. It chemically bonds to the tire to form a true seal. Some of the other things mentioned work too, but I am kinda old school and like vulcanized patches. Most auto tire shops can do the job.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

CrystalPistol

Postby CrystalPistol » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:19 am

themainviking wrote: .... take the tire off and have a vulcanized patch put on from the inside.

The "patch-plugs" both plug the hole with a rubber stem and apply a patch inside..

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Postby Rusty Bike » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:59 pm

Well I stopped by the Honda shop, they use a patch plug as CP pictured. I have the wheel in the back of the car. It will go to the shop in the morning. I'll have her back together tomorrow night. I'm going to see if they have 90 deg. valve stems also. One is needed on the rear.
Now here's something interesting. The dealer said that some old GW guys would mount a magnet in front of the rear tire to catch stray metal kicked up by the front tire. He said you never see a nail or such in the front tire. The front kicks junk up and it gets stuck in the rear. Any thoughts on this?

CrystalPistol

Postby CrystalPistol » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Rusty Bike wrote: Well I stopped by the Honda shop, they use a patch plug as CP pictured. I have the wheel in the back of the car. It will go to the shop in the morning. I'll have her back together tomorrow night. I'm going to see if they have 90 deg. valve stems also. One is needed on the rear.

I would NOT use a pull in rubber based 90 degree valve stem on a 1200 wheel. There is no support for a stem like on a 1500 and at speed the weight of the upper metal part with Schrader valve will constantly deform the base. There is also the very real danger of the valve stem running afoul of a brake caliper.
Do yourself a big favor and just use the shortest straight stem. I went with short all metal stems on my 1200. I would have used the same shortest ones on front of my 1500 trike but there isn't room for it and a tire chuck to check / inflate it .... so it got a all metal 90 degree stem.

Rusty Bike wrote:Now here's something interesting. The dealer said that some old GW guys would mount a magnet in front of the rear tire to catch stray metal kicked up by the front tire. He said you never see a nail or such in the front tire. The front kicks junk up and it gets stuck in the rear. Any thoughts on this?

Absolutely the truth as to why they always get picked up by the rear ... the front runs over a lying still nail and the rear catches it not laying.

As to the magnet .... might catch some? I had a fellow tell me that was why he had a mud flap in front of his rear tire, it hung from his center stand .... and when he put the bike up on the center stand, the flap pointed forwards. Did it work ????? He thought so?

Of course, your front tire might still pick up a nail set to flying and not yet at rest after being kicked up by your fearless ride leader's trike or that 4 wheeler ahead of you?

True story. One night back in 1979-80 when I was a new Trooper in NoVa. I got a call of many nails in the NB lane of I-95 at Rt 619 (Quantico Exit) .... it was raining cats and dogs .... I went south to a crossover near the county line and headed north in my near new 1978 Plymouth Gran Fury (440 .... last of the "big hammers" it was) and as I approached Rt 619 overpass ..... looked like pine needles all over the roadway. I pulled over, red light going ... a TT passed and sparks were flying from his trailer tires. I got out, it was WET .... and I-95 was covered in thousands of 16D coated nails .... and I found remnants of a few 50 lb boxes soaked wet where they had fallen off a truck and busted open. I set up flares and for several hours ran the light traffic flow (early morning wee hours) off the exit and a county unit waved them up Rt-1 to 234 where they got back on. Had VDOT out there, called for a sweeper .... they sent two guys with brooms .... took several hours .... when all cleaned up I drove to the area office for gas before going home and checked my tires.

NOT a nail one in either front tire ..... but BOTH rear tires had 6-8 16D nails stuck in them, some went in the tread and stuck out the side wall even. Neither one of those Firestone Deluxe Champion Pursuit Radials went flat though. Before I left the office to go to my apartment at Manassas I grabbed two spare new tires out the shed and stopped at a station and had them put on the rear and balanced so I'd be ready for work the next night. I think I was maybe 3 hours late to bed ..... "OT" is was.

Never found out who lost all them nails but for days I was returning calls to motorists, insurance agents, trucking companies wanting to find out. We had some TT with 16 flats or punctured tires that needed fixing .... but very few steer tires.

Rusty Bike

Postby Rusty Bike » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:44 pm

How bout a sheet of that magnet rubber stuff made into a mud flap and hung on the centerstand. :idea: I wonder if you can get that stuff in different flux strengths...Hmmm!

CrystalPistol

Postby CrystalPistol » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Might help? 8-)

Makes me think ..... maybe a mud flap with a few magnets along the leading edge? :idea:

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Postby twocams » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:17 am

I guess when I think of plugging a tire its while riding on the Highway. I lived in Alameda Calif for 2 yrs its in the bay area. I had been working as a signalman on a Caltrain project for a sub-contractor.
My youngest son and I had made plans to for a ride but I needed to ride 50 miles East on the Interstate to meet up. Cant remember 4 lanes or 6 lanes 70mph, my BMW started to get a bit squirrely. Slowed down and got as far off the freeway as possible...rear tire nail. But when cars & trucks are going 80-90mph past you just dont feel to safe. This was about 16yrs ago didnt have a cell phone but I did have a tire plug kit. With 3 of those little air cylinders to air up the tire....almost. It was a good roadside repair and road that tire for another 2-3000 miles. Im not saying this is the way to do it but try to flag down a car thats going 80mph on the Interstate. :o

twocams

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Postby geraldm » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:12 pm

i dont see anything wrong with using a reasonably sized plug , heck even a few layers a cotton or nylon string pushed through with a bit of glue will get you to the next tire shop . nothing wrong with doing this ,,, How many people put a plug in a car tire and just forget about it ? IMO that dam slime should be back at the manufacturer where the sun dont shine . It's probably more dangerous to hit a pot hole in the road than run a tire with a plug in it . quit making mountains out of mole hills ... thats why I am a CAA member for $180 per year they will come pick my bike up take it where ever I want to get it fixed at NO charge as many times as I need them ,, pretty good insurance if you ask me , I'm sure AAA is basically the same depending on what policy you have ..Have a good one ,, ride safe :mrgreen:

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”