Front cover leak

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Front cover leak

Postby walker70 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:00 am

Hi,on my 1986 Goldwing I have been replacing a lot of stuff on it and one of the things that was in need of replacing was the front cover gasket and orings,this is the cover that has the neutral switch in it that is below the timing cover,I have replaced the large paper gasket twice now and it still wants seep a little oil, not much but enough to leave a smear of oil on the bottom of the cover,I was thinking that maybe the cover may be warped a little because I know that I have used the right sealant,Permatex ultra grey,I know it is possible that I didn't put enough at the area where it is seeping but I don't think so,any ideas would be helpful,thanks. :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Front cover leak

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:04 pm

walker70 wrote:Hi,on my 1986 Goldwing I have been replacing a lot of stuff on it and one of the things that was in need of replacing was the front cover gasket and orings,this is the cover that has the neutral switch in it that is below the timing cover,I have replaced the large paper gasket twice now and it still wants seep a little oil, not much but enough to leave a smear of oil on the bottom of the cover,I was thinking that maybe the cover may be warped a little because I know that I have used the right sealant,Permatex ultra grey,I know it is possible that I didn't put enough at the area where it is seeping but I don't think so,any ideas would be helpful,thanks. :D

You're not supposed to use any sealant at all. Perhaps that's your problem? Use the OEM Honda fiber gasket, apply the correct amount of torque to the front cover bolts, and it seals just fine, no sealant required. You need to make sure that both the cover and the engine block mating surfaces are perfectly clean however.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:12 am

Not only are you not to use any sealant on that gasket you should never use( I am assuming that permatex ultra grey is RTV) RTV or silicone on any gasket on the oil side of any engine. The bit that gets squished out and sits on the inside can one day come loose and clog up an oil passage,or block the pick up screen of the oil pump starving a part of the engine it's life blood. In essence your engine could have a stroke and damage will occur. So please no RTV or Silicone inside the engine. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

jdtetoit
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A
1988 GL1500A

Postby jdtetoit » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:55 pm

Putting the finishing touches on my 84 engine, while this motor is out and accessible where is this screen you speak of? Is there a cover on the outside or is it internal?

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”