Starting problems

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
familyman
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

Starting problems

Postby familyman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Okay I need HELP.
Bought an 84 GL1200 Aspencade a few month ago. The bike started right off and I rode it several times before buying. This bike is in excellent condition and everything but the CB works great. The only issue the previous owner gave me was that the radio would sometimes lose the stations and go to static. Very inttermittent and always comes back within a few minutes. That did not bother me too much until another problem came up and I think they might be related.

Recently I will stop after riding for a while and the battery will just be low or dead. Barely turns over and will not start. Jump it and it is fine. Charge the battery and it is fine for at least one start. lights will dim when the brake is pushed. It will do this two or three times and I will just put it on the charger every night. Then after a few times on the charger it will start fine for the next week or so without having to charge it. (I ride this bike every day). I have read the issues with the stator and was prepared that I may have to change this out. I did find the 3 wires near the battery that were loose in the plug and hardwired those. However, I am wondering, since this is interrmitent could it be a regulator problem and not the stator. If it is the regulator I don't want to pull the engine fix the stator and the problem still exist. BUMMER. PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE!!!!!!!! Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Starting problems

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:52 am

Are you sure the battery is actually low? Have you checked the main 30 amp (dogbone) fuse located next to the solenoid?

randyshonda
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200

Postby randyshonda » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:53 am

First timer here. I have an 84 GL1200 standard with the exact problem. I checked the bike voltage about a year ago and my regulator was heating up the yellow wires with about 17.8V. I replaced the regulator and my voltage dropped back down to normal and the yellow wires stopped melting. My current problem; I just charged the battery two days ago and yesterday I was able to start the bike and get to work. Once here I decided to move the bike to park next to others and the bike barely turned over the engine. I pulled the battery and had it tested at three shops (O'reillys, batteriesplus, walmart). All three tested the battery as a strong charged battery. If I let my bike cool down for an hour, it starts up with out a problem but only lasts on my bike for about 45 minutes of riding. If it is the stator, I will hop along until winter and pull everything apart, but a good strong battery should last a lot longer than 45 minutes of riding. I tested my stator last year and everything was fine. Does anyone have a potential solution to our problems?

bill_perry2002
Motorcycle: 1985 goldwing 1200 interstate

Postby bill_perry2002 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:33 pm

if you need a stator i got mine for 140 new let me know and as i just did mine you really dont have to pull the enginemyou can leave top electric on
and just swivwel the engine enough to take the cover off

the place i got mine at was united starter and alternator ..lowell, indiana

SCSDK
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 Interstate

Postby SCSDK » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:03 am

Hi there,
you might have a problem with the startermotor, if the startermotor is hot and hardly turns over the engine it might be on the blink.
If possible check the powerdrain with the startermotor operating if it is excessive, then the startermotor is gone to the eternal hunting grounds and needs either rewinding or replacing.
GW 1200 Interstate

randyshonda

Postby randyshonda » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:43 am

For all of you 1984 1200 Goldwing owners, I have found a solution!!! I had a bad starter. The armature was shot as well as one brush. The best solution (cheapest) is to get a new starter from Ennis products out of Texas (part number smu0111). The gear part of the starter is going to have to be switched with the old starter. The new gear head is slightly larger and will not fit on its own, I repeat WILL NOT FIT STOCK. With the old head on the new starter, you will need to file down the spacer block. It sticks out further to compensate for the larger head unit that you just removed. If you need measurements, take them from your previous old started you just removed. The mounting screw near the front of the bike will need to have the hole made oblong front to back very very little. I took several weeks to finally come up with this option. It works and I am not a mechanic. But I do have a file, and a hand drill.
Randy :D

tricky

Postby tricky » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:38 pm

If you don't mind I shall post it on the gl1200 site.

randyshonda

Postby randyshonda » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:22 pm

If there are other places to post my answer, great. It took me a long time looking around to find what I did. Good luck to all '84 GL1200 owners.

bill_perry2002
Motorcycle: 1985 goldwing 1200 interstate

Postby bill_perry2002 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:08 pm

with all the lights on a goldwing you are lucky to get 45 minutes,you can get a new stator for 120.00 and you dont have to take it all the way out, before i put my stator in i had a series of 3 regular new car batteries and the bike
battery hooked in line and that would only last 3-4 hours

secondly, my starter started binding up, after inspection, it was hitting on
one end so i put a washer in it and hasnt had a problem since

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”