New To Me - Second 1985 Limited - New Project

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Re: New To Me - Second 1985 Limited - New Project

Post by Rusty Bike » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:37 pm

Pretty cool Ernest. Great of you to keep us posted. I was thinking of you today. See my update that i will post here in a few minutes. Merry Christmass.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:13 am

Merry Xmas to all. Thanks Rusty Bike. Trust Santa was good to you and everyone.

The other half is in Victoria with her family so getting at this bike has been great. Had originally thought that it was going to be a parts bike, but it has been surprising me at every step. Hope to free up the brakes over the next two days. The more I get done now, the easier it will be when I come back in the spring to take it out west.

Will need tires as these are starting to crack even though they are within the date time frame.

Still puzzled over the fuel system light.

Been a good time so far.

Cheers to all.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:36 am

Trust Santa was good to everyone. Turkey for the next week or two as well.

-27 deg C this morning. Vehicles started well, thanks for fuel injection, carbs in the cold are a PITA!

Short update. Had some time yesterday afternoon before Xmas dinner to do some more work. Neutral indication still working, nice to start the bike without holding in the clutch lever.

Took the brake calipers off. One pin in the left front caliper will not, will not come out no matter what I try. Steel and aluminum are not good friends after sitting out for at least 3 1/2 years, maybe more since these were removed for work. Looking for a used left front caliper for the bike - can be from an Aspencade. Any ideas for removing a caliper pin?

The rotors are well worn so I will be looking for a set as well. Brakes are something I like to have in good shape.

had the rear wheel and FD off. Splines look good, were well lubed. No play in the FD pinion bearing like my pother bike. The spring on the prop shaft FD end is missing, need one before any road test. Everything else looked good.

Using anti seize on every bolt/nut that goes back on.

Only have a few more days left to investigate/troubleshoot this bike. Have a pretty good idea what has to be done.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:01 am

Have put together a work/parts list for next visit that should get the bike on the road.

Parts needed for Larder Lake '85 LTD

Prop shaft FD spring (have)
Caliper oil and dust seals (have)
Contact cleaner for switches
New tires
Right side mirror
Caliper rubber boots for pins
New/used rotors
Left front caliper
Exhaust header
Exhaust header cylinder gaskets (have)
Exhaust header to muffler gaskets
TPS Wire with connector (have)
TPS from Victoria (have)

Maintenance to be Done

Change timing belts (have new on hand)
Coolant flush

I have bought a few things here such as a new battery and shop supplies to get things going. Other than this it has been my time.

Now to keep this updated.

Cheers

Ernest

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:10 pm

In reguard to the Anti-Seize, did you know that torque specs for hardware must be reduced when using anti-seize unless anti-seize is speced by Honda for that fastener. Due to reduction of friction when anti-seize is used, the fastener will be overtorqued when applying standard values. The US military did extensive testing on fastner stress when using anti-seize. Torque values should be reduced 15-20% when using anti-seize in order to protect the fastner and base metals. Another intresting thing I've discovered is that Milk of Magnesia is an excelent, high temp anti-seize. It will not foul plugs and is used in jet engines as speced by the US military and the engine manufactures. No, I'm not nuts...Google it! I always use MOM on anything that will get hot. Go Man Go...>>>

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Using anti seize simply because it has been and will be in the frozen cold for the next few months and it has been sitting for a while - hate the results when bolts/nuts don't want to come loose. Milk of Magnesia - who would have thought.

Going to hope for the best with the caliper pin. Already have a plan B. Won't bin the caliper but will work on it at my leisure.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:42 pm

Heated the caliper housing, and with the help from my brother, an extra set of hands, we got the pin out. Need a new one.

Used the ultrasonic cleaner I got for Xmas, water and dawn liquid soap. Didn't do a bad job but not clean enough. Going to put gunk in tomorrow and try it. I bought this for parts cleaning and it is a SS tub. It did clean a bit. Will check the heat setting. May try again, can't hurt.

Short update as well. Now that I have the pin out of the left front caliper, it's a clean and new seals that I have but are in Victoria. Will clean the calipers and have them ready for when I return.

The bike is also a road bike again. Took it off the centre stand and ran it through first and second in the brother's garage. Only went 15 or so feet in gear but it worked well. Clutch did not stick.

Updated work list.

Parts needed for Larder '85 LTD

Prop shaft FD spring (have)
Caliper oil and dust seals (have)
Contact cleaner for switches
New tires
Right side mirror
Caliper rubber boot for slide pin – qty 1
New/used rotors
Left front caliper - no longer need
Pins for caliper(s)
Right side exhaust header
Exhaust header cylinder gaskets (have)
Exhaust header to muffler gaskets
TPS Wire with connector (have)
TPS from Victoria (have)

Maintenance to be Done

Change timing belts (have new on hand)
Coolant flush

Looking forward to the next time I'm here and getting it on the road. I'm also impressed that it is stock, no add-ons.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:17 am

Probably the last update for a while on this project. Time to head south then back to Victoria and some warmth.

Put the bike back together last night. Missing the left foot peg, need to source one for when I come back. Installed the centre shelter and everything works as it should. Fuel sending unit thermistor for the low fuel level is gone, will be doing this fix later on, have fuel gauge and all is well. Checked the oil pressure/temperature function - works well and is a good reading.

Air compressor system not working - have removed and will take back to Victoria for an overhaul. Will also be able to test it on the other bike. There was air in the system - surprised me when I took off the forward and aft lines from the compressor system and air came out.

Refreshed my memory on the suspension. The PO had progressive springs installed front forks, and had the rear air shocks rebuilt. Hope the work was done properly - no oil leaking that I can see.

Seat is no worse for wear, needs an upgrade me thinks.

All lights work - another good sign.

Have my work/parts list started and being refined. Tires and battery are the big expenses right now. Have found a used rear rotor with some life left in it - will be better than what is there right now.

Very pleased with the progress and looking forward to a ride across Canada to Victoria.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:37 pm

Brother kicked me out of the garage as I am heading south then home to Victoria and he wants his garage back. Took a picture of me and the new bike out in the snow. The lights are on so the bike is running. Drove it into it's cold storage. It's only -24 deg C.

Ernest

Rusty Bike

Post by Rusty Bike » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Are you sure that cord has nothing to do with the lights! LOL. Good job Ernest. She's lookin like a riden machine.

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:32 am

Getting a bit cold up here -31 deg C, plug in or don't start.

More seriously though, doing more perusing of the forums to get a handle on the fuel system light and why it's on. This GL1200 Goldwings forum site: http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/a ... rum-7.html has a wealth of information specific to the LTD/SEi FI bikes. It appears that the fuel system light is the catch all "check engine light" for these bikes. The ECU apparently grounds this dash indicator so it illuminates when there is a fault in the system. In my case I have a TPS fault showing up on the ECU regarding a signal error. I have the TPS wiring temporarily installed and will correct when I return.

Cheers

Ernest

Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (undergoing re-assembly)
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2) (undergoing re-assembly)
1985 GL1200 LTD (#3)

Post by Phunnybone » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:36 am
Trust Santa was good to everyone. Turkey for the next week or two as well.
Took the brake calipers off. One pin in the left front caliper will not, will not come out no matter what I try. Steel and aluminum are not good friends after sitting out for at least 3 1/2 years, maybe more since these were removed for work. Looking for a used left front caliper for the bike - can be from an Aspencade. Any ideas for removing a caliper pin?

Had that problem with the rear - both pins stuck. Since I was going to rebuild the caliper and didn't care if I fried the rubber inside, I used a torch to heat up the caliper a couple of times and kept squirting WD-40 around the pins while tapping them out and in. Eventually loosened up and I got them out. Stuck them in a drill and used sandpaper to get them below 6mm so they could be re-inserted. (Eventually had to use the grease gun method to get the pistons out).

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Used heat and with the help of my brother we got the pin out. Have one of the caliper pins that is no longer usable. Will be trying to source a new set, or two. Always good to have a spare. Was able to get the pistons out. Have a few scratches in the first 1/8 inch of the piston, but this area does not impact on the dust/oil seals.

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:54 am

Found new caliper pins on eBay - ordered three, gives me a couple of spares. Also bought the Permatex® Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube. From what I have experienced, need to take the calipers off for maintenance at least every two years - dissimilar metals do not fair well in our riding environment.

Been busy finalizing the parts I need for the bike - have a list and cataloging everything that needs to be sent to my brother. The seat was a bit ratty so I'm having a fellow in my brother's town do a new cover for the seat and backrest - $300.00 is a good deal. The fellow does cars and boats for a living. Doing this is quite exciting. May ship the seat from my bike here for the ride back considering Sonya will be with me, it will be more comfortable than the stock seat, or use a sheepskin - lots of time to decide.

Mentioned to my HD friends, who are always surprised when I mention what I will be doing with these older bikes, that this one will be rode across Canada something they will not be able to say about theirs. My parts guy mentioned that a mechanic friend of his has never had an issue with resurrecting an older fuel injected bike, always works after a system clean unlike carbs - more good vibes.

Talked with Sonya again regarding this bike. She asked how confident I am about this bike. Once it is mechanically sound, not much else to worry about or do. Also have 350 KM of towing with BCAA, what more does one need. Had mentioned that it would probably be a parts bike, but once it started and everything is working well, and with a good going over, it would be a shame to part it out. Better to spend a few sheckles and sell it - figure I will get my money out of it if I were to sell it once I'm done and have a trip with it as well - 1800 goes first though. We have looked at the trip across, not a lot on the prairies, but once closer to the west coast there is the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument and the likes. We also have to do a trip back down the coast to the sea lion caves and other areas. There are also more people I want to hook up with, put name to face over coffee, as this forum and the others have been very good to me.

Working on my '85 here in Victoria. Will always be a work in progress.

Ernest