Idle Drop.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

Idle Drop.

Postby starfleetengineer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:07 pm

I have just rebuilt my cards on my 84 1200I. I have read in the manual and I have seen on here that you need to do an Idle drop. My problem is, I can't fine anywhere on how to do this. Can anyone tell me the steps on how to do this? Thanks for the help!

How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!
starfleetengineer

Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: Idle Drop.

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:31 am

This is from the 1200 Honda service manual. You will likely need a sensitive tachometer hooked up to measure accurately enough to perform this procedure. Once it's done, it doesn't tend to go out - you won't need to repeat it.

IDLE DROP PROCEDURE

NOTE: Use a tachometer with graduations of 50 rpm or smaller that will accurately indicate a 50 rpm change.

1. Turn each pilot screw clockwise until it seats lightly and back it out to the specification given. This an initial setting prior to the final pilot screw adjustment.

INITIAL OPENING: 3-1/2 turns out

CAUTION: Damage to the pilot screw seat will occur if the pilot screw is tightened against the seat.

2. Warm up the engine to operating temperature. Stop and go driving for 10 minutes is sufficient.

3. Attach a tachometer according to the manufacturer's instructions.

4. Adjust the idle speed with the throttle stop screw.

5. Turn each pilot screw 1/2 turn out from the initial setting.

6. If the engine speed increases by 50 rpm or more, turn each pilot screw out by a continual 1/2 turn until engine speed drops by 50 rpm or less.

7. Adjust the idle speed with the throttle stop screw.

8. Turn the No.1 carburetor pilot screw in until the engine speed drops 50 rpm.

9. Turn the No.1 carburetor pilot screw 1 turn out from the position obtained in step 8.

10. Adjust the idle speed with the throttle stop screw.

11. Perform steps 8, 9 and 10 for the No.2. No.3 and No.4 carburetor pilot screws.
WingAdmin
Site Admin

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby starfleetengineer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Thanks!!!

I did that after I started it and warmed it up. I guess I didn't know that it was the idle drop.
starfleetengineer

1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby snowy.vtwin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:00 pm

starfleetengineer wrote:Thanks!!!

I did that after I started it and warmed it up. I guess I didn't know that it was the idle drop.

what did you use for a tach?

I see no way to clip my old tach to the coil, even with the tank cover and airbox pulled off, the bike tach only registers 20rpm increments....
snowy.vtwin

Motorcycle: '85 GL1200A
'95 Shadow ACE 1100

Postby starfleetengineer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:24 pm

I used a paper clip and back probed the yellow with blue tracer wire. that is the tach signal wire from the coils. Back probe the wire with the paper clip. Hook the digital tach pos wire to the paper clip and ground the other.

Hope that helped.
starfleetengineer

1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby snowy.vtwin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:21 pm

starfleetengineer wrote:I used a paper clip and back probed the yellow with blue tracer wire. that is the tach signal wire from the coils. Back probe the wire with the paper clip. Hook the digital tach pos wire to the paper clip and ground the other.

Hope that helped.

thanks for posting but oops, I am floundering here a bit ...

Back probe? Digital tach pos wire? ....

I was hoping to use my old analog tach/dwell meter, has a ground wire and a hot wire that normally would go on the coil... are you saying to tap into a yellow wire (that goes to the in-dash tach) with it? What is blue tracer wire for?
snowy.vtwin

'95 Shadow ACE 1100

Postby starfleetengineer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:49 pm

snowy.vtwin wrote:
starfleetengineer wrote:I used a paper clip and back probed the yellow with blue tracer wire. that is the tach signal wire from the coils. Back probe the wire with the paper clip. Hook the digital tach pos wire to the paper clip and ground the other.

Hope that helped.

thanks for posting but oops, I am floundering here a bit ...

Back probe? Digital tach pos wire? ....

I was hoping to use my old analog tach/dwell meter, has a ground wire and a hot wire that normally would go on the coil... are you saying to tap into a yellow wire (that goes to the in-dash tach) with it? What is blue tracer wire for?

You can use the old analog meter. I have one as well. It will be harder seeing a 50 rpm. drop. Back probeing is taking the paper clip and pushing it in the connecter where the yellow and blue wire come out. Yellow with blue tracer is the color of the wire.
When you get the paper clip pushed in the connecter hook the power wire from the meter to it and ground the other. Make sure you have it set on 4 cyl. My analog meter is the old snap on meter. The yellow wire is the wire that goes to the tach in the dash.
Let me know if that helps and works.
starfleetengineer

1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby snowy.vtwin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:34 am

ok, today I will locate the yellow wire w/blue stripe, but probably won't do the actual adjustments for a while...

I haven't wrenched on bikes for over 40 years, but the bug has bit me hard here in my 3rd childhood. I started riding again a couple years ago, got a ACE 1100 that putts along perfectly and needs very little attention. Wife didn't care much to ride on the back so that was the perfect excuse to get the wing.

I got the wing in mid July, it runs great on the highway and ok around town but with slight hesitations at low speed. I went thru a couple cans of seafoam but didn't improve much so picked up 3 service manuals and a carb-tune sync kit and dug in for the fun of it. (Sync-up didn't help either)

The PO had put on new tires and battery, but very few miles over the past couple years since he bought a brand new harley. He lives in the wilderness, all highway running for him. I suspect it sat just a little too long (in a garage) and so needs a carb cleaning but I've been trying to enrich the mixture in hopes of some improvement while the weather was warm and the roads were dry... but if anything the situation is getting worse instead of better so I am taking it to the next level, the weather is turning here already anyway and I'd like to get this all worked out before the snow comes.

I was hit with a big surprise when I dug into the service manuals... turns out I have a California bike! I think I've dug up enough info to deal with the differences but the widely available carb rebuild kits do not address the CA model carbs which are the Keihin VD55's as opposed to the VD53s on the majority of bikes. I also found that a service bulletin that was issued to replace the slow jets and needles on my bike but so far I have not found those part numbers or specs and do not know if that service was performed on this bike. One of these days I'll visit a dealership to see if they have part numbers or other info.

Looking around ebay for carb stuff I saw some complete manifolds with all carbs selling pretty cheap and was tempted to try a 49-state setup on the bike... but then along comes a setup for the CA model so I got that one on the way. The pics look really clean and the seller claims it came from a bike that was running a couple months ago and verified that the carbs were the VD55's. My initial plan is to just pull the float bowls, check and clean there, put it on the bike and see what happens.... I am perfectly happy to finish out this season with the ace, turns out that since the wife got a Corvette she could care less about riding on any bike for now anyway.
'85 GL1200A
47,000 mi
snowy.vtwin

'95 Shadow ACE 1100

Postby snowy.vtwin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:49 am

Took my coffee out to the garage and quickly spotted a yellow w/blue stripe wire at the connector shown below ... is this the one you used ? (top right wire in the indicated connector) I'll check out the wiring diags in the service manuals ....

tia,
Gary

'85 GL1200A
47,000 mi
snowy.vtwin

'95 Shadow ACE 1100

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:06 am

I back probed at the coil. I put the paper clip in before I put it back together since I had the air box out. I went down and around by the radiator fill because I could get my hand down their after it was all put together to remove it. I am not 100% sure that the wire you found is it, but, you can hook it up their and try it. Start it up and just touch it and see what the meter does. If it matches the tach and swings with the tach that is it. I can even try it with mine. We've got a nice day today and I need to clean her up, and take her for a ride.

My wife was ok riding on my V65, but there wasn't enough room for both of us. It took a year of searching before I found this one. She fell in love with it the first time we took it out. I traded the V65 for it even up. I went in to this knowing I'd have to do some work to it. On our first ride I noticed that the Accel was lacking, the power wasn't what it should be and she backfired on decell. I tried SeaFoam. I added it to everyother tank. It cleaned out the tank great, "but" the fuel filter turned brown the almost black. I decited to pull the carbs and check the floats. I found that they have been off before cause they were #ed on the bottom. Funny thing is they didn't even # them right. Half the floats were high and the others were low pluse the fact they had a rusty build up in the carbs. Pulled the needles from the seats and found they all had a build up ring on them. I got a compleat rebuild kit on EBay. Got them from Canada. $90 with s/h. cleaned and blew out all the passagees, replaced all the parts and set the floats at 7.5 mm. "That was fun with out the float gage" Put the carbs back in warmed her up and ran the settings. I took her out for a ride but found I needed to ride with a little choke on. Reran the idel drop and set her a little leaner. I took her out on the bypass, "speed limit is 65" After pulling out and gaining speed I was at 80 mph before I knew it. She was screaming and begging to go faster!!! I am inpressed on how well such a heavy machine rides and flies!!! I will try to get some pictures of her today and post them.
starfleetengineer

1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby snowy.vtwin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:33 pm

I see in your profile that you have an '84 Interstate so there will be differences to my 85A as far as how you can get to things. I am not particularly proficient with the electrical stuff but I did stare at the wire diagrams in all my shop manuals for a while this morning and it seems to me like the vellow/blue should be common just about anywhere.

I decided today to just keep pulling stuff off the wing and get the timing belts changed and clean it all out under the tupperware, service the driveshaft, etc. I rode the ace today and it's nice to be back in that saddle too. The wing looks like it has never even had the seat off, the dust is thick under there but no signs of prior wrenching anywhere yet. Gonna get it shined up everywhere for next season as long as it will be coming mostly apart anyway.

I almost went with a V65 before I got the ace but didn't want a bike that would temp me to overextend. I never imagined the GL1200 would have the kind of power and response that it does, oh well. I am always pleased to come up behind a slowpoke on the highway so I have some excuse to kick down to 3rd and wind it wtf up.

'85 GL1200A
47,000 mi
snowy.vtwin

'95 Shadow ACE 1100

Return to GL1200 Information & Questions