Heres a new one!!

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Heres a new one!!

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Ok. I rebuilt the carbs. I did the idle drop. I checked the timing marks on the belt gears. I took her out tonight and hum. It's totaly differnt than before. "Before" I didn't have to use the choke to start her up. She used alot of gas. She had power, but she backfired out the tail, and ran a little rough. "After" Have to use the choke to start her up. Sitting she has pleanty of power. Take off she lacks the power. You can hear a small misfire in the airbox. She wants to go, but she feels like she's being held back. Get the rpms up and she'll run, but still feels like she's being held back. Opened the choke just a touch and it felt like "turbo boost" She ran like a dream! Take the choke off and she acts like she is starveing. Went back over every thing I did. Set the floats at 7.5 mm.Replaced the jets,, jets! The main I took out was a 112. The one in the kit is a 110. The book says it should be a 102. The other jet was a 35, put 35 in and the book says 35. I set the pilot screws at 3.5 turns out. When adjusted they are about 2 turns out. And according to the gas gage I am still useing gas! I don't have any gas smell or the burning smells I had before.

I am at a loss!!! I thought I had her running good, but that was till I went down the road under a load.
Any help or ideas would be great as she has fooled me. :?

How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Heres a new one!!

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:07 pm

All points to too lean a mixture. Especially the fact you can fix it with choke. How do your plugs look? How hot is the engine running? (Too lean will cause too much heat)

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:22 pm

WingAdmin wrote:All points to too lean a mixture. Especially the fact you can fix it with choke. How do your plugs look? How hot is the engine running? (Too lean will cause too much heat)

The plugs are brand new, and the temp gage goes a little over a 1/4 up. The engine doesn't seam to be running hot. The cooling fan hasn't came on unless I am sitting and idleing.

I thought it was to lean too, but I don't know what to do except turn in the pilot screws seeing as I can't adj the mixture screws.

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:57 pm

I just got done with setting the pilot screws again. I turned them out 3.5 turns pre the book. By the time I was done they were turned in 2.75 turns. She still runs like shes lean cause I give it just a touch of choke and she takes off. Now I am woundering if I do have the floats set right. I am sure I set them at 7.5 mm. Looking at the pic in the book. You measure from the base of the carb in the ctr. of the float to the outside of the float. I hope that is right cause that is sure how it looks. I did pull the plugs and they are dry as a bone unlike before I rebuilt the carbs. I hate to say it, but she ran better before I cleand the carbs and rebuilt them.

I am open to Ideas and suggestions. I thought this would be easy compared to working on a car or forklift.... Guess I was wrong!

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:42 pm

I guess you are working on your 1984 1200-I. Parts show 4 diffrent neddle valves and a #125 and a #108 main jet. When I set the floats after removing the bowl. I hold the carb upside down and let the float seat aginst the float valve under it's own weight. That's were I take my setting. I also check both sides of the float to make sure it hasn't been tweaked. Measureing from the the bowel boss to the top of the float at it's high point. I call it the top because I have it upside down but it's the bottom of the float where it would set in the bowl. Hope this helps and not confussed. Does sound like a lean condition and a bad float setting would do that. Let us know what the outcome is.
Mooseman
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

noeleo
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 A Aspencade Sadly wrecked 2-25-12

1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500

Postby noeleo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm

New to the forum...Just reading this post and the comments thereafter.

I thought it was to lean too, but I don't know what to do except turn in the pilot screws seeing as I can't adj the mixture screws.

Just don't understand this comment. :?: What screw are you referring to as the "pilot screw"? :?: I thought that was the idle mixture screw. Couldn't find any adjustment screws on mine except for the idle mixture screws. :cry: I also wondered why you changed the jets. Are they stopped up to the point that they would not come clean? I ran into the same type of problem on another brand bike (uses the same brand carburetor) and found that aftermarket jets gave me fits. Put back the OEM jets and the problems went away. :D

In no way am I questioning your ability, I just want to understand better.

Thanks.
Ride your GoldWing no faster than your angel can fly.

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:25 pm

noeleo wrote:New to the forum...Just reading this post and the comments thereafter.

Just don't understand this comment. :?: What screw are you referring to as the "pilot screw"? :?: I thought that was the idle mixture screw. Couldn't find any adjustment screws on mine except for the idle mixture screws. :cry: I also wondered why you changed the jets. Are they stopped up to the point that they would not come clean? I ran into the same type of problem on another brand bike (uses the same brand carburetor) and found that aftermarket jets gave me fits. Put back the OEM jets and the problems went away. :D

In no way am I questioning your ability, I just want to understand better.

Thanks.

When I wrote this I was thinking of My Magna and after I posted I noticed I put the pilot screws and mixture screws. They are one in the same. As for changing the jets. The bowls were caked with rust and and a white deposit. I think that came from the SeaFoam. The jets would not come compleatly clean and I didn't want to take the chance. I got 4 new kits for $90.00 so I couldn't go wrong. The only problem with that is they sent me the wrong kit. "Smaller jets" They are sending me 4 new kits and bowl gaskets free. No cost to me..
Even with those jets it still runs lean. I even set the floats to 7mm instead of the 7.5mm like the book said. When the new kits show up I am going to reclean the carbs and see what else I get out of themI am almost sure that the slow circut is plugging up again.

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:35 am

I really admire you guys who have the guts (and knowledge) to take apart your bike, fix what ails it, and then put it back together again!! I can just see myself sitting on the floor with a pile of parts,(jets, screws, bowls, etc.) with a confused look on my face. Hopefully, as I read more and more in this forum, that confused look will start to go away.
Side note: These Wings sure aren't like a car, are they!! To fix something, or get at something it seems like you have to take apart and remove 6, 7 other things just to start to repair something. I want to put a new air filter in, but I have to first remove the false gas tank, then remove a cover, then...??? Sheesh!!! Talk about spark plugs?? I can get at 2, but the other two are covered up. So here I go removing things again. Guess that's why garages charge up to $90.00/hour for labor.
So hats off to all of you who work on your bikes. I am in awe of your ability AND...I'm jealous!!

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:01 am

maestro319 wrote:I really admire you guys who have the guts (and knowledge) to take apart your bike, fix what ails it, and then put it back together again!! I can just see myself sitting on the floor with a pile of parts,(jets, screws, bowls, etc.) with a confused look on my face. Hopefully, as I read more and more in this forum, that confused look will start to go away.
Side note: These Wings sure aren't like a car, are they!! To fix something, or get at something it seems like you have to take apart and remove 6, 7 other things just to start to repair something. I want to put a new air filter in, but I have to first remove the false gas tank, then remove a cover, then...??? Sheesh!!! Talk about spark plugs?? I can get at 2, but the other two are covered up. So here I go removing things again. Guess that's why garages charge up to $90.00/hour for labor.
So hats off to all of you who work on your bikes. I am in awe of your ability AND...I'm jealous!!

With time in, almost anyone can do it. You'll get to that point. As I tell others, take pictures!!! Take a pic of every step. You'll have your diag of how it goes back together. Take your time and don't rush it. If your confused, stop, ask questions and look at your pic's. As they say.. a picture is worth a 1000 words! I've been a mechanic for over 35 years and I still have stumpers! and I still ask questions. Remember... There is no such thing as a dumb question. The only dumb question is the one not asked! I am not sure what goldwing you have, but on my 84 gl1200I I can change the air filter without pulling the false tank off. As for the plugs I just take off the intake covers and use a swivel on my socket.
If you stand back and look at a car and a bike. They are really not that differant. Just more compacked. They both have a engine wireing and wheels and run on gas. I went from working on autos to working on forklifts and I went in with the mind set that they are smaller but the same. 5 years later and I still love it.

Just remember all this and in time you'll be taking it apart in your sleep fixing the problem and puting her back together. With everything there is a first time!

Good luck, and ask questions and take pictures.

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks starfleet, that's great encouragement. I guess it all starts with the first step.

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:47 pm

starfleetengineer,
Just checking in on updates. Check out my photo album. I found these passageways blocked on 2 of my carbs and this caused trouble. Stuck the tube of the carb cleaner in each orfice and squirted cleaner through till it cleared. Worked like a charm.
Mooseman
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

idjit
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Postby idjit » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:04 am

My GL1100 has a lean cylinder. When I start with choke I have to keep it choked longer than I should to keep the lean cylinder from backfiring. A bit of a balance act to not over rev it. Under power, like passing someone, I can feel the odd miss unless completely warmed up.

Is it possible that tweaking the pilot screw a bit (which direction?) could richen this up slightly to fix my starting issue? (and a carb sync, of course). I'm trying to avoid a carb job. It's running pretty good for the most part. Plug looks white, but no sign of aluminum deposits or plug wearing.

I know the pilot screw is more for at idle, but I'm sure that extra fuel makes it to the higher revs too. Does on my 72 Olympic Ski-doo. Thanks -Bob

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:20 pm

I now have the correct jets in the carb's. I just did the idle drop and then syc'ed the carbs. It idles great now, still have to take it down the road. But, I still have the sound of marbles in the back half of the engine. If I raise the rpm's it goes away. Question, could this sound be the starter drive chain or the main drive chain? I'm not sure if I should be worried about it or not. What do you guys think?

noeleo
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 A Aspencade Sadly wrecked 2-25-12

1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500

Postby noeleo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:41 pm

starfleetengineer wrote: Question, could this sound be the starter drive chain or the main drive chain? I'm not sure if I should be worried about it or not. What do you guys think?

Starfleetengineer:
Could your rattle be a worn primary drive chain or guides? I think if that were the case, you could change the sound while stopped by letting out the clutch (in neutral, of course) or by pulling in the clutch and shifting into gear to stop the rotation of the trans shaft and change the amount of load on the primary chain. Not sure about your noise, though. Just something that woke me up from one of my many naps...
Ride your GoldWing no faster than your angel can fly.

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:22 pm

In or out of gear makes no change. Even with letting the clutch out won't change it. Just raising the RPM's does. It's weird to me. It sounds just like marbles rolling around a cardboard box or a plastic box. I'm stumped!

dan1951
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby dan1951 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:56 pm

I,m Working on a 1985 it has a weird rattling noise I thought was comming from the rear of the engine, But upon closer examination turned out to be a loose baffle in left muffler, Makes a weird sound for being what it is. Good luck to Ya on the rest of it those carbs can be a real pain in the neck.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”