The Plug for the Stator gitting hot

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

The Plug for the Stator gitting hot

Postby fastf » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:15 pm

Hello I just purchased a 85 1200 Ltd . I have been reading about Stator problems and rectifier problems and also about the three wire yellow plug.I have a charging issue .I checked the stator plug and the ristance is o I have been noticing the plug being warm. I put dielethum grease on the plug and cranked the bike back up after I checked the ristence with the ome meter
it was hotter than heck. I 've reading about that plug is also the problem of alot of peoples charging problem and people are hard wiring then streight to stop the heating problem. What I want to know is this my problem or is the stator the problem. The other day I put a full charge on the bike and watched the digital volt meter on the dash and notice when i left the house it was 11.8 volts watched it drop I drove about 20 miles when i got home it had dropped to 10.8 volts and the bike would not start. But I also felt the plug from the stator it was hot and today after i checked the resistance and put dielithum grease and plugged it back up and started the bike back up it was very hot to the touch could the plug be bad or the stator if it is the plug I will do away with it but I don't like cutting wiring it puts me the mine of jury rigging or trying to get by but I also know If you are broke down jury rigging works every time .Can anyone give me some help if im on the right track. I have a clymer service manuel and it stated that page 195 in the book stated that Honda had a recall on the 1200 stators I also read that the plug was the culprit in alot of cases. Thanks and May God bless

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: The Plug for the Stator gitting hot

Postby MJSantos » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:27 pm

Your on target with the plug. Eventhough your ohmmeter is saying 0 ohms the overall surface of the connection needs to be taken into consideration. The current flow through there is running around 40 -50 amps. Any resistance to this will cause the heating up of the connection which will increase the resistance creating even more heat, more resistance and on and on. Best to go ahead and cut the plug out before you fry the stator.

fastf

Postby fastf » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:50 pm

I had a friend come over and i started it up put a my mutimeter on one pin at a time ground neg to ground and postive to one pin at a time getting 25 amps at idel and about between 3500 rpms and 4500 55watt and up each pin the same but when you plug the plug up things warn up. Below the plug closer to the stator its cool but at the plug its hot and above the plug going to the rectifier its hot. What that be the reason that my battery is not getting charged or both the stator and the rectifier bad? Can i get another plug to replace the one that is bad?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:02 pm

The plug may be making perfect contact, but only part of the contact may be actually touching - so running a few millivolts from your ohmmeter shows 0 ohms resistance, but there is simply not enough contact to allow the full amount of current to flow from the stator. The result is a melted stator plug. The fact that you're feeling the heat means you're on your way. Dielectric grease will not help.

Have a look at this topic to see what your future is. :)

Honestly, I know I don't like the idea of hard-wiring things either, but this plug is a well-known weak point, and WILL cause the expensive failure of your stator eventually. You're already seeing the symptoms - it's time to perform the only know fix, which is to cut that plug out, and solder the wires securely in place, then insulate them well with heat-shrink tubing.

fastf

Postby fastf » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:50 pm

I cut the plug and hardwired it but the wire still feels warm when I start the bike up and run it. I have a gut feeling the stator or the rectifier is gone. Now I cut these plugs If I go and replace the stator and the rectifier will they have the same plugs that came on the bike or will I also have to hardwire them too if that is so I have screwed up doing this.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:43 pm

The wires will get warm under normal usage, there's no problem with that.

If you replace the stator, you would have to cut the new stator's plug off and wire it directly as well.

Is the bike charging with the stator hard-wired?

fastf

Postby fastf » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:20 pm

Hello Wingadmin, I have charged the battery with a trickel charger started it up was 12.2 volts on the volt meter on the dash as I rode the bike. I watched the voltage drop to 12 volts and the 11.9 volts then setteling around 11.6 to 11,7 volts this was about a 20 min to 30 min ride about 15 miles or so. Pulled back into garage switched the bike off wires were warm not hot hot checked the battery with volt meter 12.25 started her up claimed to 12.30 volts. Something is pulling it down or there isn't getting voltage back to battery a voltage regualator or retifier if its sticking when you shut the motor off there would be a direct drain on the battery or when the motor runs it can over charge it or not let get voltage also.This morning before I cut the plugs Ac voltage from pin to pin on the plug about 69 volts at around 2700 to2750 rpms and with the motor shut off pin to pin postive and negitive probe on my volt meter 50 amps i guess or volts a person told me to check it that way. I also read that the plug on the retifier can also be heating up I have seen the pictures of them melted. I getting to the point I really don't know what else to do.But like I said I really don't like cutting plugs and making something work. Honda needs to be made to make a better harrness for these bike or someone needs to come out with one. Honda made a millions of these bikes world wide and now its getting harder to get certain parts for them. If I repalce the stator @ rectifier I want the plugs on them the heck with hardwiring them die grease will keep moisture at bay. I will also go with a high output stator. If this doesn't work I will convert it over to the po mans coversion .

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:51 pm

There is a fix for the charging wires called the E.C.Harness which eleminates both connectors at the R/R and the stator, and fires the ignition coils directly from the battery. I have it on my LTD and no complaints. I just went through what you are going through. I replaced the stator twice.

The first stator was faulty shorted to ground causing hot wires and burn to the point the insulation was soft. Second install went well, no hot wires barely warm I hardwired the R/R but I haven't hard wired the stator yet but I will. I have it just plugged right now (curiosity sake) to make sure all is well with this new stator. So far so good I keep checking the plug. Here is a link to the E.C.harness I used, well worth the money IMHO

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wir ... charge.htm

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”