Radio/Cassette/Intercom Issue

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
scmoon
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Radio/Cassette/Intercom Issue

Postby scmoon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Originally posted as a reply on the GL1200 forum on a similar issue, but thought I should start a topic thread here as well....
I have a question on the subject on the radio/cassette/itercom on my 85' Aspencade.
Anyone experienced the situation where their radio / cassette plays fine through the dash speakers, but plug in headset cables and practically nothing out of the headset speakers both for driver and passenger helmets...barely hear any music and with the volume turned all the way up. Split second of volume when first plugged in and then cuts out. Obviously my first thought was a short in the cables to the headsets, but get this...the intercom works fine with minimal volume levels. So am I looking at a fault within the Panasonic unit itself??

Any ideas and/or suggestions would be appreciated.....thanks to all, especially WingAdmin for a great site to keep us new Wing owners on the road and gaining knowledge each and every day of perusing the forums. Safe Riding to all!!

gogs11uk
Motorcycle: GL1800
CBR600

Re: Radio/Cassette/Intercom Issue

Postby gogs11uk » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:48 pm

What about the mute switch. I take it that it is on but could it be a short in that causing the intercom to work properly but the music to be very quiet.???

noeleo
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 A Aspencade Sadly wrecked 2-25-12

1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500

Postby noeleo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:07 pm

:D I am going out on a limb to post a reply, but felt it necessary. ;) In no way am I stating that I am an expert in this subject. :ugeek: On my 87A, when you plug in the headsets, you have to turn them on by pressing the second knob to the :arrow: right of the VOLUME that is labeled INT COM and says PUSH SP/HS. This is the switch that changes from speakers to headsets and gives the VOLUME CONTROL for the headsets. This is how it functions on my Aspencade with the Panasonic AM/FM w/Cassette. Hope this will help you in your endeavor. :?: Keep posting because I would like to know if it fixes it or not. :?:
Ride your GoldWing no faster than your angel can fly.

scmoon

Postby scmoon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:03 pm

On mine, the 3rd knob is for volume in the headsets, but it's for the intercom volume. My problem is either a short or some other failure within either the volume knob or the middle "mute"....Lots of radio volume out of my dash speakers, push in the 3 rd knob to switch to headsets...plety of intercom volume, but music immediately cuts off...crackling in the background, flightly hear music...turn main volume up...occasional blastin my ears but mostly muted.

I thought it might have been a short in the headset,until I found the same situation for rider and passenger headsets...and the fact the intercom works fine.

Tricky....I tried your suggestion of bending and checking contacts 3 & 5 to no avail...so now I think I am going to be opening up the radio cassette and graphite lubing the inside of the 2 dial switches. Any other suggestions are welcome.

happy Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend!!! The weather is looking good this weekend here in Southern Ontario.

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Do you have a CB on the bike

scmoon

Postby scmoon » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:26 pm

tricky wrote:Do you have a CB on the bike

Hi, Tricky....no CB on my 85 Aspencade.
As I mentioned, the intercom is working, but I noticed today, a very distintive buzz in the headsets between the wife and I, which would disappear as soon as I touched the front brake. I know I read about this in a previous forum thread here somewhere...but can't seem to be able to locate.

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Electrical interference from the alternator.

There was at one time a filter made by J&M but unavailable now.

I think it happens when the bike isnt using all the power the alternator is generating and is shunting it to ground.

You might be able to minimize it by adding some extra ground wires, but have heard that doesnt work.

have you tried the http://www.gl1200goldwings.com forum

I know there was something on there about it.

I was asking about the CB so that if you had the multichanger we could isolate that for your volume problem.

I wonder if you try disconnecting the headset junction box and hook one of the headsets directly to the 5 pin DIN that comes from the radio to the junction box and see if the radio is putting out the full signal to the headset.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”