water temp gauge

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
GoldewingBill
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 aspencade

water temp gauge

Post by GoldewingBill » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Hello all I have a rather unique problem.I have a 1984 Glodwing aspencade.A mouse chewed the wiring at the temp sensor,therom switch and oil press switch.I looked and found a good harness and got it.My friend wrapped the new harness in rat tape so it don't happen again.But after we put the new harness in my temp gauge still don't work.He checked the wiring and we have 5 volts at the green wire and we have a good ground at the blue wire.He used a 3 amp fused wire and grounded the wire that had the 5 volts on it and the gauge still don't work.If anyone has seen this issue before please offer any info no matter how"off the wall"it may seem.I'm grasping for any straws I can find.It has lcd gauges so i'm not sure if the gauge is just bad or not.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: water temp gauge

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:12 pm

GoldewingBill wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:26 pm
Hello all I have a rather unique problem.I have a 1984 Glodwing aspencade.A mouse chewed the wiring at the temp sensor,therom switch and oil press switch.I looked and found a good harness and got it.My friend wrapped the new harness in rat tape so it don't happen again.But after we put the new harness in my temp gauge still don't work.He checked the wiring and we have 5 volts at the green wire and we have a good ground at the blue wire.He used a 3 amp fused wire and grounded the wire that had the 5 volts on it and the gauge still don't work.If anyone has seen this issue before please offer any info no matter how"off the wall"it may seem.I'm grasping for any straws I can find.It has lcd gauges so i'm not sure if the gauge is just bad or not.
Just to confirm, there is a green/blue wire coming out of the dash that runs to the temp sensor, and when grounded, the temp doesn't change?

GoldewingBill

Post by GoldewingBill » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:20 pm

Yes correct.If a ground that wire the gauge don't work.I have 5 volts on the blue wire and ground on the other wire.If a ground the blue wire at the oil pressure switch the light comes on.This past weekend i even went so far as to run a new wire from the sensor directly to the back of the gauge assy and still nothing.I think i'll be better getting a koso water temp gauge that adds a voltmeter and oil pressure reading as well as a water temp.Everything will be in number values.I believe t toe the lcd on the bike but at the prices I think the separate meter unit will provide me more info and more accurate info.But it would be nice to know for sure if it's the gauge.My friend works at the motorcycle training center for honda and he is going to see if he can get me the poem service manual and electrical manual.

jimh352
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by jimh352 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:39 pm

I have the exact same problem. A mouse chewed my temp sending unit wires. I have the 85 Limited, which gas two wires to the sending unit. My oil pressure wires are ok tho.

Well, today I changed my belts, and went to fix the connector for the temp sending unit. I was able to use extra long vice grips to remove the plug, then took it apart. I was able to disassemble the connector, and solder in new wires. Plugged it back in to the sending unit. Then wired the new wires to the old wiring. Turned the key on, nothing. Switched wires around, still nothing.

As I sit here, I remember there was a ground wire during removal of some body stuff, so maybe that was one the temp sending wires. Will check tomorow.

Does it matter which wire goes to which terminals on the sending unit? It looks like both wires are green to me.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:48 pm

jimh352 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:39 pm
I have the exact same problem. A mouse chewed my temp sending unit wires. I have the 85 Limited, which gas two wires to the sending unit. My oil pressure wires are ok tho.

Well, today I changed my belts, and went to fix the connector for the temp sending unit. I was able to use extra long vice grips to remove the plug, then took it apart. I was able to disassemble the connector, and solder in new wires. Plugged it back in to the sending unit. Then wired the new wires to the old wiring. Turned the key on, nothing. Switched wires around, still nothing.

As I sit here, I remember there was a ground wire during removal of some body stuff, so maybe that was one the temp sending wires. Will check tomorow.

Does it matter which wire goes to which terminals on the sending unit? It looks like both wires are green to me.
It does not. It is just a resistor, which is not polarity sensitive.

jimh352

Post by jimh352 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 am

Thank you.
I soldered some more wire to make them all longer, so I could change them if necessary. Reinstalled my radiator, filled, started engine, all ok. Let it warm up a bit, and vóila, I got one bar!
Guess when cold there's no bars at all. Another website said one terminal goes to guage and the other is ground. In either case, it was a 50/50 shot I got right. I think the other sensor for the fan is non specific in its connection, as I look at the wiring schematic.

Thank you, appreciate the help.

GoldewingBill

Post by GoldewingBill » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:12 pm

I used the factory service manuel that my friend brought home from work.I traced the wires from the sender to the connector and from connector to connector all the way up the to the gauge.Then i even went as far as running temp wires from the sender to the back of the gauge and still had nothing.So my friend went on line and found and very nice water temp gauge that is blue numbers and fit very nice in my gauge housing.He put in a new sender unit and hide all the wires and now I can glance down and know what my bike is running in a split second and works great.Fan kicks on at 210 and runs nice and cool after having the radiator rebuilt that was 80% blocked.Now well on my way to getting all new led lights all way around.Got a new opt-7 led head light and wow what a difference.Look forward to getting it done now.

jimh352

Post by jimh352 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:53 pm

I added an inline sensor, in the upper radiator hose, and put the guage in the lid of my right top pocket. Works nice, it's a meter too, I like those, has a little light bulb. I got power from the fuse block, so it's keyed.

Now I have both.

Did consider a while back about using the oem sending unit to a new guage exactly like you done.