Water leak.....from where???

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
hip001
Motorcycle: 1985 Gold Wing

Water leak.....from where???

Postby hip001 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:33 am

(my bike is a 1985 GL1200 interstate with 94k miles)

My GF and i were riding to Orlando aprox a hour away and were prob 35 miles from the house when we were stuck in bumper to bumper trafic. The temp gauge was approaching the 3/4 mark and inching along in traffic we turned into the gasstation to top off the tank. pulling up to the pump reaching for the key to shut the bike off we heard a PPpsssssssssssssssssss!!! Steam bellowed up from the engine area and looked down and it was leaking coolant. I can not tell where it is coming from. I cranked it up and added water to the to the coolant tank and it looks like it is coming from the rear bottom of that, but i have no line of sight to tell for sure.

is the coolant tank under pressure?

is there a connection on the bottom that goes bad or the tank itself a known issue?

Thank you for any help or advice!!

Hip

arkansassuperdrafter
Motorcycle: 1985 Gl1200 Interstate
1986 Gl1200 Interstate

Re: Water leak.....from where???

Postby arkansassuperdrafter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:05 pm

There is no connection on the bottom of the overflow tank and I don't think there should be any pressure in the overflow tank. Any overflow from the radiator comes in at the top of the tank. The leak must be below that. I would check the radiator cap and if that is OK it must be coming from the radiator or hoses.
Bryce
85 and 86 Interstates

hip001

Postby hip001 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:36 pm

thank you!
Ill look at that. is there a detailed picture of where this is and what it looks like?

arkansassuperdrafter
Motorcycle: 1985 Gl1200 Interstate
1986 Gl1200 Interstate

Postby arkansassuperdrafter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:49 pm

The radiator cap is on the right side below the recovery tank. You will have to take the false tank cover to get to it. If you don't have a manual, you should probably get one. It takes a little work to keep these old wings in good shape. I have just about rebuild two to them.
Bryce
85 and 86 Interstates

hip001

Postby hip001 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:49 am

Thank you Ark!
I'm not affraid of a lil work to keep my bike running properly. Being the new owner of this bike i am not fully aware of the maintenance history. Think I'll go ahead and plan a fluid change, spark plug change while i have it in the garage removing covers. I may also go ahead and replace the fork seals too.

Is there other things I should do while i have it appart as routine maintenance or for peace of mind?

The PO said he did the stator, timing belts, and i think water pump when he got it.(he bought it to fix and sell)

Thank you again for any advice or help!! Being a Newbe Wing owner(Had LOTS of other bikes, 28 total) I'm learning alot! This Wing may look a lil aged but it is a amazing bike, and the GF loves it!! (That ALONE is HUGE!!!!)
Hip

tricky

Postby tricky » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 am

Possibly an overheating problem, (If the fan didnt turn on) check to see if the fan does turn on, even in extremely hot weather the cooling system if it is working fine will work to keep the engine from over heating.

Before you start pulling pieces apart check to cooling system and fan.

On the center stand turn on the engine and let it idle, it should start showing an increase in temperature after a while, when it gets into the red the fan should turn on, if it doesnt check the thermostatic switch, if OK then check the fan circuit

hip001

Postby hip001 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:37 am

The fan had come on before with no problems. The temp gauge was at 80% and still had a lil way to go before hitting the red area. When filling the overflow tank it starts to drip right away when running(did not try it without it running because it was already up to temperature). it drips on the fuel pump and also hits my right foot while riding.
Hip

tricky

Postby tricky » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:12 am

sounds like the overflow container may have a crack, it has been known to happen

alanc1100
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby alanc1100 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:37 am

I have been having the same issue with coolant leaking and steam coming up. And, I also just bought my goldwing recently. I have previously removed the radiator and replaced the thermostat. The thermostat only went in one way. I took a good look at the way the old one was installed and installed the new one the same way. Today, I ran it for about 10 minutes, same story. As soon as the bike starts, within a few seconds it starts to steam and coolant starts leaking. I double checked the cap. It was on tight. The overflow tank tube was leaking at the top where it connects. The fan came on after a few minutes and the steam stopped, but it kept leaking. When the fan stopped, the steam started again. I will have to take the cap off and ensure that the coolant has no air bubbles coming up. Haven't done that yet. The leak is coming from the upper area of the radiator. Could be the cap, but it is in okay shape. Could be the upper hose leaking, but the dang clamp is as tight as I dare for fear I will damage the hose. It is driving me mad! I am thinking about removing the radiator and taking it to a radiator shop and having it cleaned, checked for leaks and pressure tested. I wish I could be of more help to you. As soon as I find a fix, I will let you know.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”