Greetings...and, ahem... A little help please :)

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Dastardly
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Greetings...and, ahem... A little help please :)

Postby Dastardly » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Hello all,

I am picking up a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade next week. It hasn't been ridden in 5 years. The guy has it running (somewhat).
My question is, Since I am picking it up for less than 1k, What all should I do/have done to make this a daily driver?
I am a 50 year old returning college student that needs to save $$ where ever I can! :)

PS: I have done a great deal of auto repair and service in the past, but not on a motorcycle. I guess I just need to know if I need to take this thing to the dealer to be gone over, or can I get it tip-top by myself in a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks!

Dastardly~

24.4ZOOM

Re: Greetings...and, ahem... A little help please :)

Postby 24.4ZOOM » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:50 am

Well, since it is running, Seafoam the daylights out of it. Meanwhile, change out the tires, timing belts, all hydraulic fluids, and be prepared to deal with stuck calipers. Oh, how to for all the mentioned can be found right here on this forum. You are in for a genuine adventure. I know, I brought back a neglected Wing myself.

Patrick

Dastardly

Postby Dastardly » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks 24.4ZOOM,

Is this process going to take a long time? Will I be able to use the bike back and forth to school during the resurrection process?

Thanks again,

Dastardly~

goldtr6c
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Postby goldtr6c » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:20 am

You might talk to the owner of the bike and find out the maintainance history as much as posible. If the belts have been changed and how long ago. I found out my 82 had new belts and new clutch installed less than months before I bought it.

Dastardly

Postby Dastardly » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:42 am

goldtr6c wrote:You might talk to the owner of the bike and find out the maintainance history as much as posible. If the belts have been changed and how long ago. I found out my 82 had new belts and new clutch installed less than months before I bought it.

He says that the timing belts and rear tire were changed just prior to it's 5 year storage...

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:31 am

Dastardly, I can't help with the mechanics, but I can say, "Congratulations on going back to college at 50!!!". Gotta give you credit for taking the plunge and changing careers later in life.

Dastardly

Postby Dastardly » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:32 am

maestro319 wrote:Dastardly, I can't help with the mechanics, but I can say, "Congratulations on going back to college at 50!!!". Gotta give you credit for taking the plunge and changing careers later in life.

Well, It's obvious I won't be retiring anytime soon! LOL! :)

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:33 pm

If the belts where changed 5 years ago and the bike was not used since, I would be changing them pretty quickly. It sounds like you are a reasonable mechanic (based on your comments) so you should allow 4 hours to change the belts. The other fluids can be changed at your lesiure. Changing the brake and clutch hydralic fluid is a 1 to 2 hour job, changing the engine oil and filter is a 1 hour job, changing the fork oil is a 2 to 3 hour job. None of these are dificult to do, but take a long time as most of us don't have the right tools for the job!! You will probably need a new battery..

If you are going to change the brake fluid, I would set a couple of additional hours aside and plan on dismantling and overhauling the calipers at the same time. Remember to NOT get brake fluid on any painted or plastic surfaces..
Also check the wheel bearings, they sometimes suffer from rust if not used for a long time and a wobbly wheel is not a great feature on a motorbike..

Above all, remember it's FUN... Enjoy yourself...

Gary

24.4ZOOM

Postby 24.4ZOOM » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:58 pm

thrasherg wrote:If the belts where changed 5 years ago and the bike was not used since, I would be changing them pretty quickly. It sounds like you are a reasonable mechanic (based on your comments) so you should allow 4 hours to change the belts. The other fluids can be changed at your lesiure. Changing the brake and clutch hydralic fluid is a 1 to 2 hour job, changing the engine oil and filter is a 1 hour job, changing the fork oil is a 2 to 3 hour job. None of these are dificult to do, but take a long time as most of us don't have the right tools for the job!! You will probably need a new battery..

If you are going to change the brake fluid, I would set a couple of additional hours aside and plan on dismantling and overhauling the calipers at the same time. Remember to NOT get brake fluid on any painted or plastic surfaces..
Also check the wheel bearings, they sometimes suffer from rust if not used for a long time and a wobbly wheel is not a great feature on a motorbike..

Above all, remember it's FUN... Enjoy yourself...

Gary

That's exactly what I would say to you, because that's what I did. I used the tutorial either here or from Steve Saunder's to change the belts. Tally Ho!

Patrick

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”