No Hydro. pressure in clutch

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1200

No Hydro. pressure in clutch

Postby jdegroot » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:08 pm

I am a new member not sure where to go. I have 2 different issues for 2 different wings. First problem, I have an 86 gl1200. The lastfew days I have noticed a real strong gasoline smell comming from the bike but no leaks that I can see. Also After I fill up my fuel light will come on for about 10 seconds and then go off. At about a half tank it does it again. Any ideas or thoughts are welcomed as to where to start looking.
Ok 2nd issue 84 goldwing 1200 My friend bled the clutch out and now has no Hydrolic pressure.For this problem I have no Idea as to where to start.

Re: No Hydro. pressure in clutch

Postby tricky » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:37 pm

I am presuming you drained the fluid out and replaced the fluid with new DOT4

There is probably still air in the line.

Remove the master cylinder cover and apply the lever see if any bubbles come out of the small hole at the bottom.
I presume you cleaned out all the accumulated muck and grunge out.

One way is to place a cloth under the clutch master cylinder and crack the banjo bolt, that is the bolt connecting the clutch hose to the master cylinder apply the clutch lever and tighten the bolt without releasing the lever.

You may have to do it a few times.

From the manual:

If a brake bleeder is not available, fill the system as follows:
Close the bleed valve, fill the reservoir, and install the diaphragm.
Pump up the system pressure with the lever until there are no air bubbles in the fluid flowing out of the small hole in the reservoir, and lever resistance is felt. Then bleed the system.

Many riders use the mighty vac brake bleeder to replace the fluid.

If I am just replacing the fluid, I will remove the fluid from the master cylinder using a turkey baster, then add new fluid and bleed the system without allowing any air in the system

Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate

Postby Jrmetcalf » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:29 pm

you can buy an oil can pump and use a hose from the oil can to the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder .take out the fluid from the clutch mastercllinder and then pump dot 4 brake fluid from the oil can through the slave unit,hoseline,and watch for fluid building up in the and close fitting as you go and check the resevior often. this way forces the air out of the system from the bottom up!
Hope this helps Jrmetcalf

Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate

Postby barkman49 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Did you have pressure before you bled clutch if not you may have problem with the slave cylinder

Postby tricky » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Check the date in the first post.
Either it is fixed by now or doesnt care

Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Postby goldtr6c » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:30 am

If you have air in the system, it will be at the top of the hose where it connects to the master cylinder. Cover your tank and fairing to protect the paint. Fill the resevoir. Squeeze the lever a couple times and hold it down. Crack the bolt open where the hose connects to the master cylinder. The air will come out here. You may have to repete a couple times. Once the air is out then refill the resevoir and bleed it at the bottom to get all the old fluid out.

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby knightflyer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:53 am

Don't know if you already got this fixed... went around and around with mine. What worked for me was loosening the bolt attaching the hose to the master cylinder. Put a bunch of old rags under, in and around things, this is gonna leak. I then slowly applied the lever. It bubbled away as the huge air bubble (that I was sure I'd gotten rid of during the previous three drain/refill cycles...) was forced out of the system. Tightened everything up, and it's the best the system has worked since I owned the bike. :)

Dave (knightflyer)
"While I may, I sail East in Dawn Treader." Reepicheep, Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”