Gaping hole

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
BadMonk
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda GL1200 Interstate, 2007 Victory Vegas, 1980 Suzuki GS850GLX

Gaping hole

Post by BadMonk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi All

New to the forum...and thank you for the resource.

Just bought a 1987 Interstate with 30,000 miles. Mechanically, it appears to be in very good condition. The previous owner, however, apparently liked cutting into the plastic fairing. I can fix most of the hack jobs but not sure what to do with the gaping where a radio/cb resided.

He installed a "Concept" radio (never heard of them) by enlarging the hole in the fairing. He then 'glued' the surround of the radio onto the top of the fairing. When I pulled the radio, I didn't notice the hack job and ordered an OEM cover. It arrived in the mail today and...bummer, not even a close fit.

It looks like that center portion of the fairing that houses the radio, speedo and tach is a separate piece. But I have no faith that I'll find it on eBay (since I've been looking for a handlebar cover too).

Outside of finding and purchasing that part of the fairing, any suggestions on how to fix the gaping hole? (I tried to add a pic as an attachment but, even with reducing the size as small as my program would allow, it's too big for the forum. No longer use Photobucket either.)

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: Gaping hole

Post by julimike54 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:41 am

Try
www.straightwings.com

They salvage wings and have been a good source of parts, like the handlebar cover.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike