Black ooze comming from rectifier

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Black ooze comming from rectifier

Postby fastf » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:13 pm

Well Wingers I found out what the black ooze was on the rectifier there is a black patch that covers the curcuit board well I guess form 25 years of extreame heat and cold it finally said goodbye.It had a inch or so crack in the black patch some of the soilder had melted and was aching against the frame it's a cold wonder it didn't fry my electrics all I can say the Goldwing Gods where looking down on this poor soul .I 'm curious if that is the reason why my stator went bad as i had written awhile back the stator plug was hot very hot now it's hardwired but the plugs on the rectifier were good I would like to know of you people have had that problem. I'm replacing it too so when I take out the motor for the stator I will also replace the rectifier too I really didn't feel confortable just repalcing the stator without replacing the rectifier and that concluides my feeling. All You Goldwingers have a very safe and blessed day

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Black ooze comming from rectifier

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:16 am

That's the first time I heard of a rectifier melting its potting compound (that's what the black ooze is) - usually its the coils that do that.

As for whether or not it could be the cause of the hot stator plug - the stator plug runs very hot to begin with, and with any kind of contamination, dirt or resistance in that plug, it only gets hotter, eventually melting the plug. The rectifier draws full power from the stator at all times regardless of the required load. So while it's possible the failing rectifier could have caused it - I wouldn't bet on it.

fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Re: Black ooze comming from rectifier

Postby fastf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks but i'm gonna check more grounds too I was told by a very wise old man that anyhing man makes will give trouble. Our mechines are not no more perfect than the person that makes them. Well give me some pointers to look for and i will search and see if that could be the problem. I am using someone else computer and have no way to download pictures of the rectifier that dripped on the bike any you tell me i am very greatful for the information.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”