1987 1200 Interstate Rear Wheel Change

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
kitesurfer805
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda Goldwing 1200 Interstate

1987 1200 Interstate Rear Wheel Change

Post by kitesurfer805 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:43 pm

I am new to motorcycles and recently bought a 1987 interstate and have been working through some handling issues. Both the front and rear wheel seemed to wobble and the handling is terrible. I did a bunch of work on the front end and it is better but right now I am working on the rear end. I am trying to change the rear tire and as usual I am have trouble. I have the tire all ready to remove and am currently trying to drive the axle out and the muffler is in the way. There is a you tube video and it says to let the tire drop and the axle will clear the muffler (under the muffler) but it not working for me (motorcycle is all stock by the way). The manual says to jack the up the tire and the axle will clear the top of the muffler but that does work either. Anybody have any ideas on this?

I am also a little confused on how the wheel actually comes out. The youtube video says to disconnect the drive shaft and part of the drive shaft comes out with the wheel but the manual says to slide the wheel to the left and then remove which implies the drive shaft stays in the motorcycle. I am not really clear on how the drive shaft hub connect to the wheel, as best I can tell is just sort of mates to it.

How does everyone else remove their rear wheel, why is this so difficult.
Attachments

kitesurfer805

Re: 1987 1200 Interstate Rear Wheel Change

Post by kitesurfer805 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:54 pm

I figured it out. After I finished posting I went back out to the garage and looked at it again. I noticed the shocks could have been in the way so I tied them up and tried jacking the rear end up again and it worked. If you jack up the tire the axles will clear over the muffler so that problem is solved. Not really sure if I should leave the drive unit on the wheel when I remove or try to leave it in the motorcycle.

kitesurfer805

Post by kitesurfer805 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:33 am

I got the wheel off. I had the drive unit unbolted like the you tube video showed so the drive hub and shaft all came out with the wheel. After I had the wheel out I could see how the drive hub just fits on the wheel and just comes apart.

Do you think I should change the wheel bearings while I am this far in? I checked them and they seemed to be fine. I am trying to get a hold of the owner to see if he ever changed them out.

I went in and checked the swing arm too and could not find any side play at all. The bike has 85K miles so though maybe it might need them but could not find any side play when trying to move the arm by hand.
Attachments

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 am

While you have the FD out, pull the prop shaft out of the final drive. It just pulls out and a little gusto is sometimes needed. If there is a retaining ring on the prop shaft, remove and discard, it is a factory install item that is not needed after first maintenance. This will also tell you how often it has been apart. There are splines that need to be lubricated. Replace the prop shaft oil seal as well.

Bearings wear and degrade over time. If there is no play in the swing arm, leave for now and do in another maintenance/work period a year from now when you do the rear maintenance again. I'd do the wheel bearings before you put back together. Get a set from All Balls, then you know it's done.

You should take the u-joint out as well and lube the splines on it as well.

Good luck

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

kitesurfer805

Post by kitesurfer805 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Does anybody know the part number for the oil seal. The parts manual on line doesn't make sense. My manual calls it a oil seal. To the best of my knowledge the part number is 91262-MG9-003 OIL SEAL (39X56X7) (ARAI). Can anybody verify this?

Does anybody have more detail on how to take the u-joint out? Do I have to pull the swing arm to pull the u-joint just to lube it up and them put it all back together again? Seems to me I should do the swing arm bearings if I go that far?
Attachments

kitesurfer805

Post by kitesurfer805 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:40 pm

I spend 2 hours looking and reading post for the oil seal part number and finally figured out the correct schematic is the swing arm not the final drive or drive shaft.

OIL SEAL (27X43X7)
91261-ME9-005

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 am

You'll get used to the parts list. That is the correct number, 91261-ME9-005.

Don't lose the spring in the FD end of the prop shaft. Had one go for a walk about in the garage and still haven't found it, had to go new.

Reach into the FD at the FD/prop shaft end and make sure the pinion shaft has no side to side play. If it does, and mine did, should install new pinion bearing. Have to go to Honda for this bearing.

To pull the u-joint, recommend dropping the right side of the swing arm. Move the clutch line and rear brake light switch out of the way. Rear foot peg should be removed. Notice the orientation of the u-joint, long end always goes to engine.

Cheers

Ernest

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:01 pm

Good advise above, don't forget to lube the wheel drive splines also. Honda recommends moly, I use moly 77 paste. It's very thick and I just paint a liberal coat on all of the parts, if not done you will end of with that wheel to FD being dry and it will destruct itself from lack of lube and I think it helps keep the water away from those parts.

Good luck
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

kitesurfer805

Post by kitesurfer805 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:05 pm

I have followed your recommendation and now I am stuck. How do you reinstall the boot? There is no access, especially to the inner side. It is so frustrating working on these bikes, you get going along and then you hit mission impossible. I was worried about getting the swing are apart and that was a piece of cake compared to getting the boot back on. I am in the process of removing the exhaust to give me more room and I can't get it off either. Somebody please tell me there is a trick

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:21 pm

There is no trick to installing the U-joint boot. You have to be patient and work at it. Make sure you pull the boot spring out of the way towards the engine.

I generally use a small pocket size common screw driver and start on the inside of the boot and then work around the boot. I do understand about the lack of space, and having larger size hands. Might recommend staring at the lower left side and work around to the top from the inside, then work around the bottom to the top. Removing the exhaust will not be of assistance.

Ernest

brianinpa
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard
1987 GL1200 Interstate

Post by brianinpa » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:36 pm

kitesurfer805 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:05 pm
I have followed your recommendation and now I am stuck. How do you reinstall the boot? There is no access, especially to the inner side. It is so frustrating working on these bikes, you get going along and then you hit mission impossible. I was worried about getting the swing are apart and that was a piece of cake compared to getting the boot back on. I am in the process of removing the exhaust to give me more room and I can't get it off either. Somebody please tell me there is a trick
How do you reinstall the boot? Patience... Sometimes a little lubricant on whatever tools you are using can make things easier. It could be worse though, you could have an 1100 and need to mess with the dreaded circlip. Thankfully mother Honda got rid of those with the 1200.
Brian

If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

kitesurfer805

Post by kitesurfer805 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:14 am

I got it done. After reading the reply and eating dinner I stopped with the muffler and took another look at it. The trick was to remove the charcoal canister and brake light switch spring (was mentioned earlier). Once I had the charcoal filter out it only took about 10 minutes. Push the boot spring / clamp way forward past the groove so its out of the way and its not too bad. When I went to reinstall I was not sure about the 2 hoses that came out with the charcoal filter but after some reading one is a vent and the other is a drain so they just get put back in. Now I have to put the muffler back together and then put the swing arm back on. In my case I took both sides of the swing arm loose. I was going to try to remove the swing arm but you first have to remove the rear brake master cylinder or some component on the right side behind the brake reservoir and I just did not have the energy to attempt something new.
Attachments

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:03 pm

If your bike is similar to mine, you have to remove the exhaust to remove the swingarm. The rear brake MC does not have to be removed. To torque the left side of the swing arm use a Park FR-6 tool, should be available at your local bicycle shop.

Cheers

Ernest