rear shock absorbers

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
bernyboy
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard

rear shock absorbers

Post by bernyboy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:06 pm

I ride a 1984 Goldwing Standard that I purchased a few years ago. I am just wondering if there is a good way to evaluate how well the rear shocks are functioning. I have no experience with similar bikes to compare it to. A friend rode it a bit in fall and suggested the shocks might be a little dodgy. I can not seem to find information on shock evaluation on or off the bike. Also, if replacement is appropriate, what do you recommend?
Thanks. I'm looking forward to riding once spring rolls around .... may as well be all ready. Right now, more snow is on the way.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Re: rear shock absorbers

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 am

You may be able to find some information regarding this, but springs off a vehicle are hard to evaluate. It is possible that since theses shocks are 34 years old, they have softened with age. You should be able to find a rebuild kit, the springs may be a little harder.

I have an '85 LTD that I put non-air Progressive shocks on and these work well. There are less expensive shocks on eBay you may want to look at. I would expect a set delivered in the $150.00 CDN range. If you decide to put non-air shocks on, take the shock off the bike and measure eye to eye distance. You will probably find that the ride and stability will be improved. Only downside to non-air shocks is that if you have saddlebags, these need to be removed in order to adjust most non-air shocks.

I also have Race Tech springs and gold valves in the front forks, good upgrade as well.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest