84 gl1200a digital to analog tach swap

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Kt2448
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

84 gl1200a digital to analog tach swap

Post by Kt2448 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:00 am

Hi everyone, im Kyle from western Massachusetts. I'm 30yo and I have an 84 gl1200 aspencade that I currently have 95% disassembled. A little background on the bike. I picked it up from a good family friend not running, and it ran great after replacing the stator. 2 weeks later the gmc yukon pulled out in front of me and I got lucky but busted up a bit. After healing myself and a bit of work and some salvaged front end parts, it was back up and riding great again without the fairing (because it was junk from the accident) or any digital gauges. So to get to the point, the pulse generator went, and it's in the back of the motor so that's why I have it all apart now. A couple things I'm wondering, I am replacing all the digital gauges with analog ones and have a cluster from either an 1100 or 1200 standard (not sure which but i do know that it's from a wing). How do i replace the digital tach with a cable driven analog one on the motor side? (don't need a tach but want one), and what should I replace on the engine while I have it out? This is the second time I've had the motor out and im not trying to have a 3rd. Also, i now have a giant mess of now unused wires under the shelter, and am debating rewiring the whole bike because this mess of wires is absolutely aggrevating. If i were to rewire the bike, are there any aftermarket (or something of the sort) diagrams I can use, or is a complete rewiring opening up a sh*t storm that I wouldn't want to even deal with? Any knowledge and suggestions shared are greatly appreciated.
Attachments