85 goldwing aspencade clutch

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
rowlingstone
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing aspencade 1200, 85 Goldwing Aspencade trike, 98,harley Davidson wide glide, severasl scooters from 150 cc to 250 cc

85 goldwing aspencade clutch

Post by rowlingstone » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Ok my 85 Goldwing aspencade sat in my garage for a year and when I parked it the clutch worked good, but now when I went to start it up the master cyl was dry, so I filled it up and bled it, but I cant get my clutch to work, its in gear all the time and wont disengage from gear with the clutch lever in unless I turn it off and switch gears. It has a good clutch lever and I can even hear the push rod going in with the engine off but I cant get the clutch to work anymore, its always in gear and wont release. I re did the slave cyl too, but no clutch. I tried putting it on the center stand and reving it up a bit and putting it in gear but still no clutch and if I hit the rear brake it stops the engine, any ideas what could be doing that ?

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: 85 goldwing aspencade clutch

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:27 am

Probably clutch plates are stuck together.

If you can put it on the centre stand - start bike and put in gear, then use a zip tie to tie the clutch lever back. Then let it run and warm up for a while and slowly press the rear brake lever to slow it down - not stall it, do this as many times as it takes to get the clutch plates unstuck... you will know when that happens as the rear wheel will slow down when the clutch disengages.

cheers

rowlingstone
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing aspencade 1200, 85 Goldwing Aspencade trike, 98,harley Davidson wide glide, severasl scooters from 150 cc to 250 cc

Post by rowlingstone » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:55 am

Well I did try that basicly but I started on the center stand and let it warm up for like 5 minutes, then pulled the clutch lever in and put it in gear, of course the rear tires started moving instantly even though I was holding the clutch lever in and I tried to hit the rear brake a few times to about 10 times but the engine would die if I hit the brake too hard, it was definitely staying in gear, but I didn't try the zip tie or letting it run for awhile in gear with the zip tie on the lever. The lever has good pressure and it seems like the pushrod on the slave cyl is going in but whatever it pushes on isn't releasing the clutch or the plates are stuck together somehow. This is my first Goldwing clutch diagnoses so I'm not sure whats going on in there after the slave cyl pushes the rod in but on my day off I will zip tie the lever and let it run awhile, but the short version of this didn't seem to work. The clutch worked fine when I put it in the garage a year ago to store while I worked on my other bikes. I found out that my master cyl sight glass had a pin hole in it and when I manually pushed the slave cyl back in the brake fluid squirted out of the sight glass, that's when I got a new master cyl and bled it out, but it did the same thing, the clutch isn't releasing for some reason. So I am at a loss, except for sitting awhile it should work like it used to I would think, but its not. I bought a clutch pack all together from the same year bike on e bay I thought as a last resort I would switch them out if I had to. My manual is not very good and doesn't cover much about the clutch parts. I don't see any springs and I assume there is a pressure plate type thing in there but I don't think its releasing anymore or the plates are stuck together even though I cant figure out why they would do that except for sitting. I am hoping everything is in the clutch pack that might cause that. I am thinking if the push rod is moving in then the clutch should release but I am at a loss at what to do next but I will try the zip tie and let it run for like 10 minutes or so with the zip tie on it and see what happens but I am worried it wont work, thanks for your help it means a lot to me, I love this Goldwing it rides so nice its my baby.

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:58 pm

The purpose of tying the clutch lever back is so that the oil from the motor when warmed up should get to enter the clutch basket, and then hopefully lubricate the stuck plates enough that they will release.

I have had one stuck for quite a few tries - but you need to be gentle in the pressure applied from the foot brake or compensate by increasing the revs so the bike won't die. You can also have a few stronger stabs at the brake pedal - and hopefully it will break loose for you.

cheers

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:15 pm

If you haven't changed the engine oil, start there. Add about 1/2 quart ATF with this change. Previous suggestions are good. Had this happen once on a trip, got the plates to separate by going down hill and repeatedly engaging and releasing the clutch. Found the problem after I got home, the oil was toast, it looked like black water and no slicky. After flushing the oil for about 100 hiles drain and observe oil, if looking better put fresh oil back in. May help your problem, ATF makes a great cleaner, don't drive it very hard the 100 miles!
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Kurt J
Motorcycle: 2001 gl1800a

Post by Kurt J » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:00 am

You said the master clyn. was dry and had a leak in it so you replaced it.
When you replaced the master clyn. did you bleed IT first before bleeding the rest of the clutch system?? The master clyn has to be free of air bubbles before you bleed the clutch. Break the clutch line loose at the master clyn and slowly pull the clutch handle in. With the handle pulled in tighten the clutch line and release the clutch handle....do this a couple of times. Wrap a shop cloth around the clutch line so you don't get brake fluid all over the place. If there is air at the master clyn. you will hear it come out of the loose line. Make sure you keep the master full when you do this. You will feel feed back from the clutch even with air in the master clyn. after doing this then bleed the clutch at the slave clyn.

Cheers mate good luck

Kurt
Mind over Matter:
You don't mind , it don't matter..... :D

rowlingstone

Post by rowlingstone » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:16 am

ok guys yesterday was my day off so I had bought a clutch pack off e bay for 38 bucks off an 85 Goldwing aspencade with only 28,500 miles on it. Everything else failed to fix the problem so I spent the day switching out the old clutch pack with the one I bought on e bay and when I tried it out, the clutch worked perfectly I was so so happy, I am back up and riding again, very odd problem and I have owned 3 goldwings in my life but never had to do a clutch so I didn't know what was going on down there till now, anyway thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, this is a very helpful site, I love it !

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:28 pm

What was the old clutch pack like - any photos - as when disassembled it would have provided some clues as to what your issue was.

rowlingstone

Post by rowlingstone » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:51 pm

yes on my next day off I am going to tear the old clutch pack down and see whats up with it, ill take some pic's of it when I find the prob.

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks - that will be interesting.