LTD won't Idle after throttle body cleaning

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

LTD won't Idle after throttle body cleaning

Postby fastf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Hey people I decided to do more prevenitive maintance on the Old girl well I did a throttle body cleaning took the air filter out squirted cleaner down into the throttle body you should have seen the junk comming out the tail pipe.Now the bike won't idle much sprayed throttle valve still won't idle good at all I feel I broke something loose I need help big wanted to ride it in a parade this weekend she also stumbles at 2500 rpms when using the cruse control I have not pulled a vacume line or nothing this had been sitting up for a year and I want it running right.Also my fuel milage now sucks.

goldtr6c
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Re: LTD won't Idle after throttle body cleaning

Postby goldtr6c » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 pm

If I remember right, there is an air valve on the right side of the engine that enrichens and leans out the fuel air mixture. Not sure if its for smog reasons or just for cold start warm ups, but the valve does tend to hang up now and then causing the idle speed to fluctuate.

raycw
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Postby raycw » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:48 am

When you clean the throttle plates you also have to re-sync them afterwards. Sounds like what could partially be your problem..... but you said that the bike has been laid up for 1 year? That in itself could the the problem. Try some fresh gas in the tank. Hopefully there's not much old gas left in the tank so you'll have mostly fresh gas. If the tank is full of old gas you should try to drain/syphon out the old stuff first.

fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Postby fastf » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:56 am

This Bike had set up for a year out under a open shed. I bought it from this guys next door neighbor so the biggest problem with this bike is neglect it ain't hurt just alot of things had to be cleaned and brought back up but even after a year rust and water can be in the bottom of the tank.I feel that the throttle body hadn't been seen in a while.Because all the junk that came out the tail pipe.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”