rear trunk dimensions

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
fred1diver
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

rear trunk dimensions

Post by fred1diver » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:49 pm

hey everyone, can anyone give me the dimension of the rear trunk, my bike is still in storage so I can't measure it right now, I'm looking at getting a small cooler to put in it when I go camping, but I don't know what size I can go to :(

thanks in advance for the help

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: rear trunk dimensions

Post by julimike54 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:46 pm

It's not a real rectangle, but here's what I measured

Bottom width 24"
Bottom (front to rear) 9"
Middle (front to rear) above intrusions, 14"
Height (approximately due to 2 halves) 12" ; bottom half 7", top half 5"

Hope it helps, maybe look for a soft sided cooler :?:
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

fred1diver
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Post by fred1diver » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 am

thank you very much, very appreciated

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Those numbers are correct , if the two sections were rectangular boxes . They give a volume of 1.916 cu ft or about 55 litres .
Be aware that the shapes are quite complex , with rounded corners, and two trapezoidal cross sections , top and bottom.
Some objects ( Like even a small cooler) might not fit .
I own a full face convertible helmet , and I have to orient it just so , to get the lid to close.
Re useable volume :

Its remarkable that none of the full up Wings have their luggage volume posted .
About a year ago a BMW friend was shopping for soft BMW luggage , volume about 40 litres.
He asked how big my top box was. Including the rounded corners, trapezoidal tapered shape, in both directions , I got just under 60 litres .
Its a tremendously hard calculation to do correctly... but I was a Math calculus instructor before retirement ...
I also calculated my utility trailer volume ( 650 l ) , equally hard because of the front-back, top-bottom left right trapezoidal tapers.

At least 1/3 of the top box, saddlebag, and trailer volumes are useable, if you want to close the lids .

-------------------------------

At the last bike show, my BMW friend was looking at Mosko soft luggage .
( see https://moskomoto.com for a fascinating blog . They test their luggage for months and months in the Baja desert.
How can I get a paying job like that ?? ) LOL

Anyway , I was "bored", so I asked the salesman how they computed their soft luggage volumes, knowing how hard it was to do correctly, from just measurement .
Apparently at their factory they have thousands and thousands of ping pong balls , and bins with known volumes .
Just fill bag , empty into bin , measure . LOL

Why has no one actually done this measurement for all the Wings , 1980-2017 ?

SilverDave

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:20 pm

SilverDave, thanks! I'd just been thinking of how I was going to get the volume of the trunk. Reason is that the 2018 gave the sizes and I wanted to compare, but didn't find the information in anything I have. Before I got carried away, a guy posted a review and commented that two full face helmets won't fit. That answered my question in a round about way.

By the way, how would you like to fill the trunk with balls and open it, they'd be every where :lol:

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike