Coolant leak from weep hole

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Gabgab753
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1200 interstate 1985

Coolant leak from weep hole

Post by Gabgab753 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:02 pm

This winter i put a brand new water pump and o-rimg/gasket. But now i see a smal drop on the case coming from the weep hole. The bike didnt do 1km only run on idle and he leak. Do the cold can cause that or i need to change my oring again? Does the colant can be in cause. I dont think its a silicate and etc free...
Attachments

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Coolant leak from weep hole

Post by oldishwinger » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:27 pm

You have a similar issue to me, I also replaced the water pump, and seals, and ended up with a small leak at the weep hole. It seems its a pretty common problem, whereas if you dont get the seal exactly right, it will leak. the only fix is unfortunately is to take it all to bits again.

In saying that, because it is only a couple of drips now and again, not when riding, or side stand, and only when on the main stand, I elected to just keep an eye on it and if it got worse, then of course it would need to be fixed. That was about 3 years ago, and the drip has not got any worse, and the bike is fine.

If you try this its at your own risk of course, but also keep an eye on the oil, if there is any sign of foaming or color, it means the anti freeze is getting into the oil,as well, and fixed as soon as.

Gabgab753
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1200 interstate 1985

Post by Gabgab753 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:41 pm

thank you. I will continue to check it, it reassures me that I am not the only one who has this happen.

walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Post by walker70 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:52 am

Had a problem with my Goldwing when I got it but instead of coolant seeping from the weep hole mine leaked oil from it,as oldishwinger says you have to take it all apart and make sure the orings are seated correctly.