progressive shocks

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
bernyboy
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard

progressive shocks

Post by bernyboy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:22 pm

I ride a 1984 gl1200 standard that I acquired 3 years ago with about 30000 km on it. It had Progressive 416's on it, which I have kept. I have never been completely content with the ride quality in regard to shock absorption. Looking at things today is when I first realized they were Progressive 416's. So I have read a bit about them to try to set things up better. I have pumped them up to about 80 psi (they say max. 100 psi) and they are about 12 5/8" eye to eye as the bike sits on the concrete, unloaded. They say I should be shooting for 13". With no pressure it's at about 12 1/4". I think I will ride a bit like this and see how it goes, but I am wondering if they need a rebuild with new springs. I would not think I should have to pump them that high to just approach the correct preload. I don't know and can not find out how old they are. They have not got many miles on them, but may have quite a few years.
Any information/experience regarding these shocks would be appreciated.

bernyboy
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard

Re: progressive shocks

Post by bernyboy » Tue May 01, 2018 4:13 am

Okay. So I had assumed they were 14.25 eye to eye, which is the recommended length from Progressive Suspension in 416's for this bike. But yesterday I took them off and they are only 12.75 eye to eye. So they were probably about where they should be with just a little pressure. I guess the PO went that route to lower the ride a bit. I don't need it lowered and do occasionally ride two up and we have felt (heard) some rubbing occasionally, we thought. As I understand it, I do loose some travel with these shorter shocks. Another thing, I noticed when removing the air line on the right shock that the line itself was bent and pinched on the end, like it had been pushed in too far. I wonder if that shock might not have been pressuring up. Could it have only been getting lifted by the pressure in the other shock carried across the bike frame? I think I will remount them and see if properly reinstalling that line makes a difference.
But, I am curious about anyone else's experience with shorter shocks. If I had my choice I think i would prefer the recommended 14.25 length, or even the 14" if that is more appropriate for a gl1200 Standard (being slightly lighter). I think I will be in touch with Progressive Suspension to hear their recommendation. I wonder if it would also mean replacing the fork springs to match.